"Fake" books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fake" books

I collect German books-magazines-newspapers 1919 - 1945. It has to be the safest collecting area in this field, as far as repros go. Books are expensive to produce, 2010 printing technologies are light years ahead of 1945 technology, and new paper just doesn't look/feel like paper which is 65 years or more old.

Still, some repros have cropped up. (I'm not talking about books which are legitimately reissued with no intent to defraud, like Schiffer's edition of "Waffen-SS im Westen".) I'd like to start a list of books out there which can be fraudulently offered, or innocently passed along, as real items when they are not. My list of books is pretty short..

1. "Organisationsbuch der NSDAP", 1943 edition. This was printed in the 1970s (in England?). It originally came with a small saddlewire Glossary pamphlet, in English, which was inserted inside the cover of the book. This is missing from most copies now, and there is no indication in the book itself that it's a reprint. It's easy to tell this fake: it is bound in purple cloth not even close to the original red. The front cover has the profile drawing of an SA man from the cover of "Deutschland erwacht," the cigarette coupon album, and the spine has an eagle/swastika which didn't appear on the original. The text has art picked up from "Deutschland erwacht as well (not present in original printings).

2. "Die Uniformen und Abzeichen der SA, SS und des Stahlhelm, Brig. Ehrhardt, Hitler-Jugend, Amtswalter..." (1933) I think this small saddlewire color uniform guide was reprinted in California in the late 1960s, though there's also a printing done in Berlin in 1970. All copies I've seen are cleverly done - the staples holding the book together are usually rusty, and there's a Party stamping on the front cover. Beware this one! The paper is the key, it is too thick and modern to pass for a 1933 book. The printing is not very good quality either.

If anyone knows of any other books which are being passed off as original please post. As I remember others I'll post them....

I had to laugh. Within hours of posting this, I saw a copy of "Uniformen und Abzeichen" offered as an original on a German auction site with the usual Party stamp on the cover (I've never seen one of these books without the stamp) and inferior printing job. Lots of people bidding on it, too, alas...

Fake magazines & newspapers: (The main feature in detecting these items is the quality of paper used. If it looks or feels new, it probably is...)

Voelkischer Beobachter: certain historic dates have been widely reprinted, most frequently seen: Hitler's assumption of power in 1933 and the Roehm purge of 1934

Das Schwarze Korps: I've seen some late war numbers faked. All the ones I've seen use only one color ink (most issues used a red bar on the title page to highlight the text), and the halftones tend to be all plugged up and pretty bad. Sample fake issue attached.

Panzerbaer: all six issues of this very rare late war paper have been reproduced. I would never buy an issue of this unless (a) I knew the dealer, and (b) I still had an ironclad inspection/rejection right.

Hamburger Zeitung: two special issues from May 1945 have been reprinted. Most commonly seen: the issue which says "Der Fuehrer gefallen."

I have also heard that issues of the SS-Leitheft and the Germanische-Leitheft have been reprinted, but I've never seen the fakes personally so I can't comment.

If anyone knows of any fake magazines/newspapers, please post....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jeffhan373; 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: delete image

Comment

Hello Jeff,

I welcome this thread. It's very much overdue for those of us who collect paper/published items. Sadly, there aren't that many of us on WAF.

I think we need to be very careful when we throw around the word 'fake.' I reference its usage in relationship with the McLaughlin reprint of the 1943 Organisationsbuch.

A. M. McLaughlin's intent was to provide the at-large collecting public the opportunity to own a reprint of a very difficult to find book for reference purposes. As you correctly pointed out the design of the reprint differs from the original in many ways: the graphics, color, texture of the cover, the caliper of paper stock used, the inclusion of pictures not in the original, etc. These differences make the reprint distinctly different from and original example.

It only becomes a FAKE when a less than knowledgable unintentionally or a dishonest person intentionally attempts to fob it off on the uninformed as the original. Otherwise the reprint remains a part of a laudable effort to assist the collector.

Perhaps this is splitting hairs, but it's a distinction that I feel is important to make in this instance.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the input, most informative and usefull.
        Do you have an idea what an original issue of "Der Panzer Bar" would go for these days ?

Comment

Ramon -

I agree with your take on "fake". McLaughlin's intent may not have been to deceive people, but things sure would have been simpler had he just printed a line on the copyright page saying "reprint 1973" or something like that. I have lost track of how many times this version has been offered - & sold - as original. As you say, it's easy to tell it from an original. But if you've never seen an original it's an easy trap to fall into.

Argieboy -

Originals of "Panzerbaer" are few and far between, and go for pretty high sums. Last one I saw which was original went for some huge sum in Euros (can't remember how much exactly, though) to a wealthy collector in Europe.

Nothing will go for more, however, than the last issue of "Signal." This hasn't been reprinted (that I know of), and is around in a kind of "samizdat" crappy quality xerox. If anyone ever finds an issue of it, he's got a ticket to ride for sure....

Comment

Assmann Sales Catalogue

Here's another possible (probable?) addition to this list: the Assmann Sales Catalogue. I have never gotten the story behind this one. My copy (scan attached) is hardcover, 8-7/8 x 12-1/2. It's printed on paper consistent with the period, and the book has a serial number stamped on the last page of the text. No other publishing information per se.

The cover has always vaguely bothered me (it just doesn't seem to be stylistically consistent with other NS era catalogs) and I wonder if I have a hybrid, with original sheets being bound post-1945? I've had it since the early 1970s, and it was originally accompanied by a paperback price list (I think - I let this separate book go long ago).

I think I have also seen examples of this bound with a plastic comb binding and a b & w cover, which would seem to be a post-1945 hybrid or reprint.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does anyone have an indisputably pre-1945 copy we could use as a model for authentic Assmann catalogs?
            Attached Files

Comment

I had always thought the Assmann catalog (even with the somewhat unorthodox cover for the time) was original in the hardbound version. The soft cover version with the comb is definitely a 1970's reprint. There are a lot of reprints around that were never meant to emulate the originals such as "Balkenkreuz über Wüstensand" and "Kreta, Sieg der Kühnsten" just to name a couple. Both of these look extremely modern and could never be used to deceive. I know there are copies of issues of "Der Stürmer" out there as well but, never having seen one, don't know how they compare to originals.
              Richard V

Comment

Interesting comments on the Assmann book. I just don't know enough about it to say the copy I have is 100% pre-1945. I'd hope it is, though!

You're right - some copies of "Der Stuermer" has been reprinted. Usually the items faked are the Sondernummer issues, especially the Ritual Murder issue. The ones I've seen are printed all black, i.e., they don't feature the secondary red color usually used on original issues. (I think some of these have actually been produced in English also, which couldn't be used to deceive anyone...)

Comment

More on the Assmann book: a German book dealer currently has a copy for sale printed "around 1980", with plastic comb binding. From his listing it's unclear who produced it, but it's definitely post 1945.

Coincidentally, this version is currently up on Ebay (unless the Ebay sheriffs shut it down for its cover, which seems highly possible). Seller claims it's not a reprint, because she has seen the reprint, and this ain't it. I've never seen a German pre-1945 book bound with a plastic comb. This copy also is printed on both sides of the page (one side contains the description/pricing information, which originally appeared in a separate booklet), when pre-1945 copies were only printed on one side. Maybe she's comparing her book to another, different reprint? I think this copy is the same version that the German dealer has for sale now.

"Panzerknacker", "Tiger-Fibel" and "Panther-Fibel" should also be added to the list of reprinted books. I haven't seen the reprints so I can't directly comment on them...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X