EK2 Document - signature help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Document - signature help

Guys - I'm looking for some help on the signature on this EK2 doc to a member of Bb. 3. Based on Jason Pipes' website it looks like it is to a member of 2.Schallmeß-Batterie which was responsible for reading enemy artillery fire by sound. (thanks to this post).

Since this unit was Heerestruppe, I'm at a loss for the unit it was fighting with as of the date of this doc. The signature is familiar... can anyone ID this Oberst? FP number appears to be 02820.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

It looks like Schmidt (well I can make out ..idt).

FpNr of 02820 is for..
    (Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) Stab Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 168,
    (28.4.1940-14.9.1940) Stab Panzerjäger-Abteilung 168.

..which belonged to 68 Infantry Division and the CO of that division from January to October 1943 is Hans Schmidt.

Comment

Yes its Oberst Hans Schmidt, Kommandeur 68 Inf.div. from 24.1.1943 until 25.11.1943.
      He was promoted to Oberst 1.11.1940 and Generalmajor 1.4.1943. As you can see almost 3 months after taking over command of 68 Inf.Div.

He was also a Ritterkreuzträger and holder of the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold.

Schmidt, Hans. Generalmajor
      Kommandeur 68. Infanterie-Division
      21.04.1943 Deutsches Kreuz in Gold

Schmidt, Hans. Generalleutnant
      Kommandeur 275. Infanterie-Division
      16.10.1944 Ritterkreuz

/Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Excellent - Thanks for the information, guys. I will attribute this doc to the fighting around Woronesch and go from there.

Best,
        Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X