Question Photo Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Photo Location

Hello, can anyone identfy the location/city pictured in these two photos? Other pics show it to be coastal. They are part of a LAH photo album. Best, Bill Bourque
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Would Italy be an option, as I have seen several pictures of fascist-style towns in Italy that bore a great resembleance to the town depicted in the above two pictures. Maybe the unit history can help you out?

Best,
      Vincent S.

Comment

Hi there,

I've looked in the 'official' history by Lehmann in the Italy occupation section, and tried all the names listed, but could not find this location.

I think it is in North Italy somewhere, but as yet I can't find it. Some of the LAH went to the Istrien area to fight Partisans, but as your album is from the Panzer Regiment, and they did not go there, then it makes it unlikely.

The statue may also be a Soviet style of statue, but the buildings look more like Italy to me.

The vehicle, a m. gl. Einheits-Pkw Typ 40, sports an unusual camouflage scheme, thanks for sharing that!

Cheers
        Steve

Comment

Hello Steve, thanks for your help. I also think somewhere in Italy, possibly as you say Istrien region. Where ever it is it sure is deserted. Bill

Comment

I'm trying to search this monument here in Italy. If I find, I tell here on the forum.
            Marco

Comment

Hello Marco, thank you for your efforts. Best, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by hs132 View Post
                Hello Marco, thank you for your efforts. Best, Bill
                BILL...FOUND!!!
                The monument is in Genova and is called (I translate in english) "Monument to the Navigator". Build between 1938 and 1940 by italian sculptor Antonio Morera. Originally, was possible to read on the arch "To live does not need / To vavigate is necessary", but this inscriptions was deleted after the war.
                The Monument is in Avenue Partisans Brigades ("Viale Brigate Partigiane" in italian language).
                Over the years the sculpture has been modified to eliminate his fascist style.
                Attached Files

Comment

And today...
                  Attached Files

Comment

well done

Well done that man!

Genova is not mentioned in the Lehmann history, and the unit did not reach the coast in the 'active' phase of the operations in Italy. Only after things calmed down, around 12th October 1943, did the unit settle in quarters and continue training.

I suspect this shot comes from the period 12th to 29th October, 1943, in the relative calm before the unit was sent back to the Russian Front.

I actually looked for Genova, as it was one of the few ports in the LAH area of operation, but couldn't find the statue...

Well done again!

Cheers
                    Steve

Comment

Hello to the both of you. Outstanding research effort. Marco, I have viewed many of your fine posts and find your work exceptional. Steve, Marco my LAH photo album and all photos are at your disposal when ever needed. There are several more pics taken in this city but no real landmarks like this. Best Regards, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by hs132 View Post
                        Hello to the both of you. Outstanding research effort. Marco, I have viewed many of your fine posts and find your work exceptional. Steve, Marco my LAH photo album and all photos are at your disposal when ever needed. There are several more pics taken in this city but no real landmarks like this. Best Regards, Bill
                        Hi Bill..it is a great pleausure to give my little help to the friends of this Forum.
                        Cheers
                        Marco

Comment

Somebody knocked his penis off....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X