Prewar u.s. Envelope - nazi censors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prewar u.s. Envelope - nazi censors

here's an interesting juxtaposition: german 'we've opened it' censors' stamps on an envelope sent from the u.s. in the 1930s. sadly, no letter...

the stamp is for 'oberkommando der wehrmacht.' was censoring foreign mail one of their duties??

thanks.
    Attached Files

4 Feb 1938 the "Oberkommando der Wehrmacht" (OKW) was formed and I think censoring with the stamp to be seen on this letter letters should have started in the beginning of WW2 -in September 1939 - not earlier.

Gerdan

Comment

I think i see a 1940 on one of the stamps, so from an american's perspective that would be pre-war.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

RIGHT SIMON - JUNE 24, 1940.

I'd have thought on that the OKW would have more pressing business than reading ami civilians' mail but then what do I know....

Comment

Originally posted by inimicus View Post
          RIGHT SIMON - JUNE 24, 1940.

I'd have thought on that the OKW would have more pressing business than reading ami civilians' mail but then what do I know....
          I think special attention was always paid to foreign mail rather than domestic.

Comment

Yah, I think that is a commonly seen type envelope.
            Censors(employers of) always want to know what's being said during politically charged times, not only wartime.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X