MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crashed kg51 'edelweiss' bomber and e'weiss men!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crashed kg51 'edelweiss' bomber and e'weiss men!

interesting pic from an archive of a 206th geb.jgr. regiment man. as 'edelweisslers,' naturally they'd like to inspect a downed kg51 whose emblem is their own!
    Attached Files

Great picture, like it

Comment

Great picture.

Comment

thanks!

Originally posted by kirk View Post
        Great picture.

Comment

Hi,

it could be from 7./KG51 (white props). 7./KG51 suffered two crash-landed He 111s on 19.5.40.

Regards

Robert

Comment

remarkable rsearch robert. much appreciated.

Originally posted by szorob View Post
            Hi,

it could be from 7./KG51 (white props). 7./KG51 suffered two crash-landed He 111s on 19.5.40.

Regards

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by inimicus View Post
              interesting pic from an archive of a 206th geb.jgr. regiment man. as 'edelweisslers,' naturally they'd like to inspect a downed kg51 whose emblem is their own!
              except this was well before they became a mountain unit
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

?!

thanks simon - I thought the plane and the soldiers together was more than coincidental but apparently not, eh?

when did the 206th 'go' mountain and what were they beforehand?
                what turned the unit from 'army grunts' into sort of elite mountain troops? were many men from s. germany or austria?

best,

d

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                except this was well before they became a mountain unit

Comment

Originally posted by szorob View Post
                  Hi,

Regards

Robert
                  With just this picture and know further information, I would say it is impossible to say which plane this is.

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

I'm no AC expert but I'd thought HE111 or a dornier (?)

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                    With just this picture and know further information, I would say it is impossible to say which plane this is.

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by inimicus View Post
                      ?!

thanks simon - I thought the plane and the soldiers together was more than coincidental but apparently not, eh?

when did the 206th 'go' mountain and what were they beforehand?
                      what turned the unit from 'army grunts' into sort of elite mountain troops? were many men from s. germany or austria?

best,

d
                      Infanterie Rgt 206 was formed in Dec.40 from elements of the 17 Inf.Div. in order to form the 99 Leichte Infanterie Div. The 17 ID had it's depot area in Nuremberg.

The division was converted to a mountain division in Nov.41
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi Thomas,

if you have losses and knowledge conerning Luftwaffe markings and camouflage you can be almost sure that this is one of bombers lost on 19.5.40. Whilst I./KG51 and II./KG51 were flying with Ju 88s during the Western Campaign, III./KG51 finished its conversion to Ju 88 in June 1940. I have only a single loss of He 111H belonging to other subunit of KG51 than III./KG51 - it`s 1./KG51 9K+GH, which had been lost on 11.05.40 but I have photos of it and I`m sure this is not the same plane.
                        I have at least 9 photos showing He 111s of 7./KG51 and each aircraft is sporting white props - thus I dare to say that this photo shows another He 111 of 7./KG51.

Regards

Robert

Comment

'my man' was in fact from nuernburg. terrific info - thanks mate!

dw

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                          Infanterie Rgt 206 was formed in Dec.40 from elements of the 17 Inf.Div. in order to form the 99 Leichte Infanterie Div. The 17 ID had it's depot area in Nuremberg.

The division was converted to a mountain division in Nov.41

Comment

thanks again to all; hugely informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                              Great picture, like it
                              Here, here!
                              Cheers, Steve
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------
                              "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X