have i got a fake photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have i got a fake photo?

not long ago i bought a private photo of a ww2 leader on ebay - sold to me as original (hand written text on the back/ maker marked paper).. i got it, uv light tested it - it passed and i thought everything was fine..

now today ive just seen a ebay "dealer" selling copys of the exact photo i bought- hes selling them as high quality copys on FUJI CRYSTAL ARCHIVE PAPER

my questions is does "fuji crystal archive paper" glow under uv(?) because apart from uv testing i have no idea if i own the original image

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/profession...ain/paper.html

never heard of it being used in ww2 era. Any scan from the photo itself?

Comment

Archive paper is modern made and designed to hold the colour vibrancy and depth for a lot longer than standard glossy paper which fades/deteriorates in a few years. Archive paper is also known as 'musuem quality' but it is not designed to 'look period' or to fool anyone. I don't know for certain that archive glows but I think it probably would as it is modern made. There are a lot of other ways to tell a photo though - the Robert Noss thread above is pretty useful imo.

Comment

Fuji stared making photo paper prior to WWII. However, the paper in question has been developed only few years back.

What brand of paper is your image on?

Mark

Comment

the photo is of winston churchill with Velox markings on the back. (the velox markings are blotchy compared to other velox photos i own)

its abit odd because details in the image from the ebay dealer (whos selling the copys) dont seem to be visable in my photo?

this is an image of the copy from ebay dealer ~
          Attached Files

Comment

could you show good quality scans of the back and front of the photo you own? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

and this is an image of my photo, front and back ~
              Attached Files

Comment

now this is the 2 side by side. note the area under the car, the wheel is visible in the copy from the ebay dealer but not in mine (the area is very dark)

what do you guys think?
                Attached Files

Comment

The Velox brand belonged to Eastman Kodak and it was manufactured exclusively for amateur photographers... (according to their advertisements from the late 1920s and 1930s.). It is likely that the your photo is a period reprint. I am almost certain that it is not a private snap-shot. Without holding it in my hand, I can't tell if it is or it is not a period photo. From what I see, I would say it is an original WWII mass reprint, commemorating Churchill's visit to the Middle East.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post
                    The Velox brand belonged to Eastman Kodak and it was manufactured exclusively for amateur photographers... (according to their advertisements from the late 1920s and 1930s.). It is likely that the your photo is a period reprint. I am almost certain that it is not a private snap-shot. Without holding it in my hand, I can't tell if it is or it is not a period photo. From what I see, I would say it is an original WWII mass reprint, commemorating Churchill's visit...

Mark
                    ah i guess that would make sense, the photo feels the same as other british ones i have.

i dont mind about the money, i just really wanted an original photo of churchill as ive got quite afew of german leaders.

thanks all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X