Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offensive antisemitic photo

Hi guys,

I had this picture for a while. I realise it may be offensive, but I am wondering (all feelings aside) if anyone can decipher the back of the photo. Also, if anyone has any idea who are these SS soldiers, I would be interested to know... If anyone can shed light on the sentence written on the truck, that would be also helpful.

Thanks,

Mark

The German text:

"So ging die Nachrichtenstaffel vor. Mit solchem Humor ging es und geht es"

In such way the Nachrichtenstaffel (Intelligence squadron) acted. With such humor it worked and still works.

Gerdan

Comment

The offensive inscription on the truck attacks the polish Minister of Foreign Affairs Józef Beck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3zef_Beck

Comment

Interesting photograph! ...and we all know here that you mean no offense by asking the question mate. It is well understood that this is of historical interest and represents that alone, not any ideological attachment. Thanks for sharing it.
        Cheers, Steve
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
          The German text:

"So ging die Nachrichtenstaffel vor. Mit solchem Humor ging es und geht es"

In such way the Nachrichtenstaffel (Intelligence squadron) acted. With such humor it worked and still works.

Gerdan
          Gerdan

A Nachrichtenstaffel is not an 'intelligence squadron' it's a communications group or element within a kompanie.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks, I did not want to offend anyone on the forum... Anyway, does it really refer to the Polish FM? I am just curious, would not BECK be without the "den", if it talk about a name?

My German is not very good but, is that some sort of rhyme - Trotz Juden staub und dreck jagen wir davon den Beck?

Mark

Comment

Simon,

thanks for correcting me. I have always problems in translating the different unit names. You know I am German and my English is not so good...

I thought as Nachrichtendienst is intelligence - Nachrichten-Staffel would be the same unit and forget the double meaning of "Nachrichten.."
              Sorry.

Gerdan

Comment

Mark

indeed you are correct. There is a rhyme in the German text.

But you can also use the family name Beck and intensify this by using "the Beck" -"der Beck" (as "Der Führer"). It is not very polite but it emphasizes the effect.

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X