Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press photos or not

Hi

I have had these two photos which are part of a larger series in my possession for some time.
    It has been suggested to me that they are press photos which were published
    in newspapers and magazines.
    Is this the case? If so can somebody post an example.

Cheers

Larry
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Same stamp on the back of both photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

Larry,
        I don't think they are press photos. However, they are fairly well known photographs which have been circulated several times on the internet. I believe you obtained them from Kai about 3-4 years ago after he had them for sale on his website at a very high price for a considerable time. They show Himmler at the house of Alfred Arnold. Left to right in #1 are: Alfred Arnold, Wilhelm Murr, Walther Darré, Frau Arnold, Himmler and Wilhelm Meinberg.
        Regards,
        Max.

Comment

Press photos? maybe so. if they were ever published during that time then they were press photos. regardless it was taken by proffessional german photograppher Wilhelm Walz. He had several photos published in Signal Mag. and others. Not sure about this these, they look fairly private in nature. Maybe he was just hired to document party. good luck.
          John Pen.

Comment

Bildberichterstatter = Press photographer...

Nice pictures...

Comment

Hi

Many thanks to all who have given their opinions so far.
              Well, opinions are divided on whether they are official press photos or just photos taken by an official photographer (Walz) to commemorate the event.
              Personally I think they were taken to commemorate the event.

I am only too willing to be disproved of course and would like more discussion and if possible proof that any photos from the series can be found in publications from that time period.

Meanwhile here's two more from the series which I found on the net, can't remember where.
              They look like personal photos.

Cheers,
              Larry
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Larry,
                  Because the photos are taken by someone who usually sells his work to the media does not make these press photos. At a guess, I would think that Arnold employed Walz as a local photographer to come along and record the event. If any one of the series proved useful to Walz for selling for publication, he would have asked Arnold for permission to use it and then it would normally have some sort of description attached to it. After all is said and done, any press photographs originate from original photos and they only become press photos once sold to the media for publication. They are usually then produced in large numbers, depending on who buys them. When I say that these are well known, I mean that they have been offered for sale as collectors' items in recent years and have been seen on various forums.
                  Max.

Comment

Nice photos mate, no matter what they were for!
                    Cheers, Steve
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------
                    "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                      Larry,
                      Because the photos are taken by someone who usually sells his work to the media does not make these press photos. At a guess, I would think that Arnold employed Walz as a local photographer to come along and record the event. If any one of the series proved useful to Walz for selling for publication, he would have asked Arnold for permission to use it and then it would normally have some sort of description attached to it. After all is said and done, any press photographs originate from original photos and they only become press photos once sold to the media for publication. They are usually then produced in large numbers, depending on who buys them. .......................
                      Max.
                      Very clear and correct. Thanks Max. And thanks Larry for showing. Interesting to see Himmler laughing and having a great time, very relaxed setting.
                      John Pen.

Comment

they could very well be private photos from a professional photographer who happened to be there and are not necessarily press photos. I know a man whose father was a well-known WWI flyer, author and later Luftwaffe commander of Gatow airfield in Berlin. When he was born his mother was in the room next to Emmy Göring, who had also just had a child. Heinrich Hoffmann came by to take photographs of the Göring child and since both men, Göring the Gatow commander, knew each other Göring had Hoffmann photograph his baby also. He has a photo album full of boring baby photos but all stamped Heinrich Hoffmann on the back.

Comment

I have seen at least one of the photos somewhere. I am trying to look through my PC and I hope to find what website, magazine or brochure it was. I agree with Max, I think they were originally private photos taken by Walz at this event. However, I think that later on Alfred gave the rights to Walz for one or few of the photos from this series to be published. I keep on looking. Perhaps the photos appeared in a printed work (book) on Himmler?

Peter

Comment

I finded finally the photo on my PC. I think, that it's the same photo by Walz. This picture appeared in a newsletter from the Agricultural Union in Württemberg. The quality is not so good. I have only this information "Arnold with Himmler in Heilbronn". I hope it will help you.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter.

It probably was published in a Reichsnahrstand newsletter.
                              Maybe Walther Darre requested the publication of the photo seeing that he was Reichsminister of nutrition and agriculture at the time.
                              Would publication in a newsletter as opposed to a magazine, newspaper or book be considered to be a press photo?

Cheers

Larry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X