Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buch: Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buch: Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien???

Hello,

does anyone have the book "Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien" by G. Maier and could do some research for me???

I have heard the book has very many maps and fotos. On any of the maps in the 357. Infanterie Division listed??? I am writing a divisional history and have some "missing time" for the division in from February till April 1945. I am in contact with the last remaining veterans of the division, have been to Hungary a few times and have research in all of the German archives. I would like to know if the division (only about 800 men at the time) is marked on any of the Lage/ Taktische Karten in this book?

As soon as the divisional history in finished, I will publish it here!

Many thanks in advance!

Erich Craciun

Originally posted by erichcraciun
    Hello,

does anyone have the book "Drama zwischen Budapest und Wien" by G. Maier and could do some research for me???

I have heard the book has very many maps and fotos. On any of the maps in the 357. Infanterie Division listed??? I am writing a divisional history and have some "missing time" for the division in from February till April 1945. I am in contact with the last remaining veterans of the division, have been to Hungary a few times and have research in all of the German archives. I would like to know if the division (only about 800 men at the time) is marked on any of the Lage/ Taktische Karten in this book?

As soon as the divisional history in finished, I will publish it here!

Many thanks in advance!

Erich Craciun
    I have a couple of maps in another book showing the position of 357. ID in February 1945 as well as it's Korps assignments until May 1945.

Where did you get the information that it only had a strength of 800 men? Is that for January? I think between January (when it is recorded as being only 3 battalions in strength) and the beginning of March (when it has a strength of 11000 men). The 8. Armee OOB for 12th April 1945 shows the division as having 11288 men with a combat strength of 6010. It also had 12 AG and 10 Heavy AT guns. Despite being the strongest division in it's Korps it was still only rated a 4 for combat capability. Interestingly when it was only in KG strength of 3 battalions at the end of January, it was rated a 3. The massive influx of new personnel must have seriously affected it's capabilities.

Comment

Gary, thank you for the quick answer!

My grandfather served with the division and another veteran stated the strength at that time of being that low. You are right, it was pulled out of the line and refreshed, but then again scattered. This information you show would be very useful. I would really like to see the maps with the division being shown (east, northeast and northwest of Budapest, correct?). What books are these maps from??

Erich

Originally posted by Gary T
      I have a couple of maps in another book showing the position of 357. ID in February 1945 as well as it's Korps assignments until May 1945.

Where did you get the information that it only had a strength of 800 men? Is that for January? I think between January (when it is recorded as being only 3 battalions in strength) and the beginning of March (when it has a strength of 11000 men). The 8. Armee OOB for 12th April 1945 shows the division as having 11288 men with a combat strength of 6010. It also had 12 AG and 10 Heavy AT guns. Despite being the strongest division in it's Korps it was still only rated a 4 for combat capability. Interestingly when it was only in KG strength of 3 battalions at the end of January, it was rated a 3. The massive influx of new personnel must have seriously affected it's capabilities.

Comment

Erich,

The book the maps are in is Russo-German War 25th January to May 1945 a monogrpah by Victor Madeja. Actually there are another two maps in it showing the division's position, one for 12th April 1945 and the other for the 4th May 1945.

Cheers,
        Gary.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X