Show Us Your U.S. POW Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Us Your U.S. POW Photos

I have always been interested in the face of the soldier who has recently been captured, no matter what nationality. You will see faces showing contempt, fear, apathy, resignation, or even relief. There has to be no greater demoralization than have been bested in battle and captured by the same person you were just trying to kill a few moments before, and only uncertainty lies ahead.

That face is different from the ones we see in the POW camps. Lets see your pics of recently captured POWs prior to their arrival at the camps from both theaters.

Here is a classic pic of Tigers passing what are most probably troops from the ill-fated US 106th Division. It seems US troops retained their helmets upon surrender:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Here is one of Doolittle's Raiders, most likely the Pilot of one of the b-25's. If memory serves correct, he was executed. Interesting that they allowed him to wear his crusher event though blind-folded (most likely to simply reinforce that his is a captured American).
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Probably more 106th:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Close-up. While looking well-fed, they are obviously exhausted and bewildered (this division had only been in the field for about 5 days).
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Nice suggestion for a thread. I have one for German POW's. I recommend if you are going to use any photos out of books that you reference the source as as a courtesy and a possibility that they might have copyright protection.

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
            Nice suggestion for a thread. I have one for German POW's. I recommend if you are going to use any photos out of books that you reference the source as as a courtesy and a possibility that they might have copyright protection.
            Thanks, Bill. The ones I have put up are public domain, but a good cautionary recommendation.

Here is a rarely seen factual scenario: US GI's in Italian captivity:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is one from my collection. US POW pics are not easy to find. Any idea as to which unit these men are from?

66773/ You see the “cultural holders” from the USA!
              Many Negroes are brought in as prisoners from a battle group in the Belgium-Luxemburg area.
              4 January 1945 Hoffmann PK-Göttert
              Attached Files

Comment

Another from the Ardennes--the Nazi PK units had a field day during this time, but by the time most of these pics saw print, the Germans were in full retreat:
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

From a German propaganda magazine--note the date (12-23-44). By this time, it was the Germans who were being pictured surrendering.

(I believe the caption says "From Star [Spangled] banner to white flag....)
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

For propaganda reasons, the Germans seemed to inordinately photograph African-American soldiers. Are there any memoirs of any African-American troops who went thru German captivity?
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I believe that is Josef Diefenthal of the LAH on the left:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Gi's captured in Italy (German PK foto):
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

These have to be some of the first GI's captured by the Germans (most likely after Kasserine Pass):
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

More from the Bundesarchiv:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Approximately 700 U.S. Rangers ("Darby's Rangers") are paraded through Rome after having been captured at Cisterna, 1944:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X