Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sepp Dietrich Handwritten POW card

Yes yes i know, "do not buy anything from "Charlie Snyder"

But a few of his items are good, and is this one of those?

Thanks!
    Jon-Olav

[ATTACH]1314175[/ATTACH]

Comment

It might be interesting to see how Charlie spells 'Internal' !

Comment

Yes i saw that

Comment

After reading the card, I can only see two alternatives: 1) this is an original written by someone without much education, most likely not the well-known Sepp Dietrich, as the text is full of spelling and grammatical errors, or 2) its a complete fabrication, although if that is the case, the writer knows how to write in Sütterlin quite well!

Bill B.

Comment

[ATTACH]1314197[/ATTACH]

Comment

I think this looks real. I have several items from Dietrich in captivity, including a questionnaire completed in pencil (quite a common writing instrument for POWs.) The handwriting is very similar with certain quirks exactly the same. The signature looks authentic and the return address is correct. As for the grammatical mistakes....Dietrich was not an educated man, leaving school with no qualifications at the age of 14 yrs. His first job was driving a tractor! He also writes the return address on this card in a foreign language so I think we can forgive him the odd spelling error. The card is not written in Sütterlin; it is written in Roman script with one or two Sütterlin letters. If you asked me to decide if it's genuine or not, I'd say yes.

Comment

Thank you Max! Yes i was also looking at the signature, it looks good to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X