Interesting General's Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting General's Portrait

managed to not get out-bid on this very interesting German Army general's portrait. Note his ribbon bar. First real photo I have found with the 40 year device shown clearly on a ribbon bar!
    Attached Files

The medals...

I'm thinking: 1914 Iron Cross, Second Class (note the duplicate ribbon in the button hole. very naughty!); Hohenzollern House Order, Knight's Cross with Swords; Saxon Military Order of St. Henry, Knight's Cross; Saxon Order of Albert, Knight's Cross First Class with Crown & Swords; Hindenburg Cross with Swords; Wehrmacht 40-Year Long Service Cross; Wehrmacht Long Service Cross

Comment

Line Officer & NOT The Usual Official!

That's his WW2 KVK2(X) ribbon in the buttonhole. I can't see what the "light" one is between his Hohenzollern and the SA3aXmKr, but methinks you are right and he is a Saxon.

Only a Generalmajor? Can't tell if there is a pip there or not.

Will have to perform a Good Ricky scanectomy on this to see what details will emerge from the blur.

I'm off to the Rank List mines, unless Glenn or Werner beat me to it from their Facial Recognition programs.

Comment

Hmm. I'm back. The only match to those awards (if that's what they are) I found in the Reichsheer was Hermann-Erich "You Just Can't Stretch Your Names Out Enough" Voigtländer-Tetzner (1877-1945), a Saxon field artillery officer

BUT he served 1897-1928 and 1933-1937, according to Keilig, and that is only thirty-five, not forty years.

Retired as a char. Oberst 31.1.28, he came back as an Oberst (E) 1.10.33, but re-retired, age 60, at that rank in 1937.

Recalled in September 1939 for WW2, he was promoted to Genralmajor zV 1.10.41 while commanding Artillerie Ersatz Regiment 4 (27.1.40-1.6.42). Ultimate retirement 31.7.42.

So:

1) it's him, and he had some sort of "civilian" position with the army 1928-33 in the disguised "Black Reichswehr," or

2) it's NOT him, and it's somebobody who went army-police-army, or

3) it's him and the naughty man SELF-AWARDED this grade because he just felt like it.

I await the Facial Recognition input, because at the rate Biblio is releasing the army generals' bios, it will be 2010 before they get to "V."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X