Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate photographs

Hi Guys,
    You are going to have to pardon my ignorance here but I am a bit confused. I am not an avid collector of war time photographs but as a lover of german AVF's I have collected a few snapshots over the years. Just recently something come to my attention which has be a bit confused as to how such a thing could happen.
    I purchased Tankograd wehrmacht special booklet No. 4012 on the Panzer 38t and as I was leaving through it I came across a photograph printed in this publication that is identical to a snapshot I own of this said vehicle. Now the photograph is one of your standard 6cm x 9cm snaps and has plenty of black paper still adhereing to the back after being removed from an album. I dont doubt its originality so my question is this...how would this publication get hold of the negative or whatever of this photograph? I could understand it if it were a photograph taken by a government photographer for propoganda purposes but I was of the opinion that these pics (especially those from albums) were taken by your average footslogging soldier who just happened to be there with his camera. If someone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Phil

Well I am very new to photographs, but my best guess is that the owner more than one copy made of that photo. Just because there is more than one copy of a photo does not make it fake or non-original. For instance a Hitler photo I almost bought I saw the same photo on a website for sale. I asked the owner why this is he said it was another copy of the photo, and told me that he had seen two of them himself.
    Last edited by Wood-SS; 07-10-2009, 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Fair enough answer. As I said I have no doubt the snapshot I have is indeed an original and of course I would expect to see duplication in postcard type photographs that are readily available. I must admit I was a bit taken back to see what I took to be a private soldiers photograph reproduced in a book. I guess I should be proud that a snapshot that I now own was considered good enough to grace the pages of this publication.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lemm View Post
        Fair enough answer. As I said I have no doubt the snapshot I have is indeed an original and of course I would expect to see duplication in postcard type photographs that are readily available. I must admit I was a bit taken back to see what I took to be a private soldiers photograph reproduced in a book. I guess I should be proud that a snapshot that I now own was considered good enough to grace the pages of this publication.

Phil
        Possibly the soldier submitted his picture to the publication ?

Comment

Can you post an image of your photo here?

The fact the size is 6 x 9 cm and it has 'klebereste' on the back of the photo isn't always a guarantee that the photo is originial, so...

regards,

Jan-Willem.

F-A-K-E
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by J-W.Bode View Post

F-A-K-E
            There's some very useful info from Robert Noss pinned at the top of this section.

Comment

it happened alot where pics were taken and then reproduced for the,company division etc so it could well just that this was a mass produced one! i myself have a cool pic of hitler on a staff car going through a large crowd and it came with 4 other copies of the same pic!!

Comment

Terry, you don't get my point. I'm just stateing that even when a photo is 6x9 cm, has a notable paper manufacturer and klebereste on the back it doesn't mean it is a real wartime photo.

''6cm x 9cm snaps and has plenty of black paper still adhereing to the back''

Comment

Sorry guys been away for a little while......some interesting comments. I must ask though if the photo is correct size, has the remains of photo album page still stuck to the reverse and printed on notable paper and it still night not be the genuine article then how the heck are we supposed to tell the difference. Sometimes I think that we are all been taking for a ride in this hobby and the only genuine period pieces are those that are being dug up . Here is a copy of the back of the said picture. I am eager to see replies.

Comment

can we see the front?

Comment

Sorry Chris didnt realise you needed to see the front. Here it is and if you look at the logo printed over the pic those of you who regular surf auction sites for little treasures will know who this seller is. I for one generally regard him as an honest dealer.......but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemm View Post
                        I must ask though if the photo is correct size, has the remains of photo album page still stuck to the reverse and printed on notable paper and it still night not be the genuine article then how the heck are we supposed to tell the difference?
                        Last edited by J-W.Bode; 07-10-2009, 04:41 PM. Reason: *

Comment

And your point is?????????

Be nice it was a simple question and I would like a instructive answer to the quote you posted.

Phil

Comment

Hi

Are you still concerned about your photo or are you ok with it?

For me the photo looks legit and I would have no concern with it appearing in a publication. My guess is that it was a photo from a regimental or similar photographer that many copies were made and bought by others which was then placed in a private album.

There are many ways to tell the difference between a fake and legit photos. I would suggest you scan a few of the Russian/Ukrainian sellers on eBay to start with. This should give you a few clues to spotting fakes.

Search the forum for KGB archive photos.

Cheers

Karl

Comment

I think it is a good find Lemn. Even the fact it some how made it in to publication makes it pretty cool.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X