Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two different signatures ?

Hi Guys,

I think this is my first post in this section of the forum and since I'm not an award document expert I hope my question isn't stupid.

I only have a few documents in my collection and today I saw something that puzzled me.

Is it possible that an award document for the same award and signed on the same day for soldiers of the same flak school bears a different signatures on each document?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

KR
    Philippe

What are the awards? What is the unit? Who/what was the recipient?

I would not be surprised at all if an enlisted man recived, say, his Flak Badge from the regimental commander, but a wound badge from his battalion commander. Different awards could be made at different levels.

Comment

Hi Rick,

I'll post the documents that will make it easier for you guys I suppose.

First the award doc for the 1 okt medal I have in my collection
      Attached Files

Comment

And next this award document I saw on Detlev's update today

KR
        Philippe
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't find thos docs unusual. Medals like the 1 Okt were given out en masse and that date may have been one chosen by his unit for all it's members. These were pre-printed forms where some lower functionary..an adjutant, CO etc signed 'for the commander". maybe these guys were just in different sub units of the same larger command and thus had different people signing the same doc

Comment

Ah, it's as simple as the RECIPIENTS, I think!

The REGULAR private was apparently on the School's permanent staff, so commander Johann-Wilhelm Doering-Manteuffel (1898-1963, Gerrman Cross in Gold 27.4.42, Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 10.9.44, commander at Rerik 1.11.38--14.10.39) signed for cadre personnel... who perhaps he shook by the paw as he presented the medals in person.

Whereas the Major was filling in to send out documents to men who had LEFT the unit, as the "der Reserve" indicates on that fellow.

I find distinctions like this even on simple Hindenburg Crosses, where an underling might sign "i.V." for any old veteran, but for a Party Comrade etc the Police President himself would sign off on a document.

Comment

Thanks a lot Rick and Andy makes perfect sense to me now

KR
              Philippe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X