Flandern der Waffen SS Posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flandern der Waffen SS Posters

Hoping you may be able to help. I have pics of some posters that belong to a friend. I believe them to be originals however they have been pasted to cardboard to prevent deterioration.

My friend is considering selling these and would like to know how collectable these are, and some ballpark values, basic translations etc, if possible.

There are six posters in all, with a couple being Flandern der Waffen SS.

I will give approximate measurements, although I may have a one or two of these measures in-correct.

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated, as these are not my area of knowledge.

Poster 1
    24 x 16 inches

Regards

Russ
    Attached Files

Poster 2
    23 x 16 inches
    Attached Files

Comment

Poster 3
      23 x 16 inches
      Attached Files

Comment

Poster 4
        24 x 16 inches
        Attached Files

Comment

Poster 5
          21 x 14 inches
          Attached Files

Comment

Poster 6
            23 x 16 inches
            Attached Files

Comment

Just bringing this back. Any information that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Please gents, 85 views and no comments? Not my area of knowledge at all so I have no idea. My friend is selling off a lot of his collection and he's had these for decades. We don't see a lot of these in NZ so some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Ok, I must be doing something wrong here. Are these in the wrong section? Are they known fakes or something? Please, help me out here. 118 views?

Regards

Russ

Comment

Hello

Can't help about originality. Luc can. Thought I just love them, Russell.

Friendly Regards,
                    Bart V

Comment

Hi Bart

Many thanks for your comments. They do seem very interesting, particularly the Flandern posters, and also the couple with the Churchill silhouette in the background. I thought these would be quite collectable, but perhaps not. My collector friend is a retired gent, not too good with computers so I offered to try and get some info for him. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks Bart.

Kind regards

Russ

Comment

I like 5 and 6 .
                        I have one SS poster deemed original on forum by all and another SS poster deemed fake by 2 members.

I know enough to know I dont know everything about posters. I know I like 5 and 6 for a few reasons. They "feel" real to me.
                        The first few are of a type i have never seen.
                        Thanks for sharing.
                        -Michael

Comment

Hi Russell,

I believe #'s 2 and 3 are original (they are part of a series) and so is # 6.

Sorry I don't know about the others. There is a thread in the SS Forum (I believe the largest one going) about "Vlaanderen.. Land of Beauty" or something similar. You might want to post them there.

If they are on cardboard that will lessen their value somewhat.

The last one I saw like # 6 it was in a lot better condition and sold for US$550.00

#2 and 3 would bring a bit more - they have more visual appeal to collectors than text only posters - but the cardboard detracts and would cost several hundred to fix. I would guess somewhere around the $750 to $1000 without the cardboard.

Comment

Many thanks Michael and Tony for your comments. I appreciate that these are perhaps quite a difficult area to evaluate without seeing them in person. I thought that the cardboard backing may detract in terms of value, however it has probably helped to prevent further deterioration and may make them suitable for framing. Thanks to all for your comments and help.

If anyone has any other comments or info to offer, I, and the owner, would be most appreciative.

Thanks and kind regards to all.

Russ

Comment

Hi Russ,

While it probably has temporarily stopped them falling apart the cardboard will not help in the long run. They need to be made PH neutral (so the acid in the paper is neutralized) and linen backed (as opposed to the cardboard)

Here is one that I had restored. It was missing a large chunk out of the bottom where someone had it pinned to the wall and ripped it down - plus other pin wholes, minor rips, creases etc. The linen backing helps smooth out the original fold lines as they are a weak point. It also makes it easier for the framers to handle if you want to frame it.

An expert restorer can repair all of these problems and it increases the value considerably.

If someone purchased your friend's posters and simply had them framed with the cardboard attached they would be fu*king nuts in my opinion. It would be like leaving moth eggs in an SS visor........

BEFORE

AFTER

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X