Flotten Kriegsabzeichen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flotten Kriegsabzeichen question

On documents that awarded the Flotten Kriegsabzeichen for Schlachtschiff personnel, was the word before the name of the ship Schlachtschiff, Schlachtschiffe, or Shlachtschiffes?

John

I believe it would be Schlachtschiffes.
    Richard V

Comment

I think you are right. Can any of the German speakers explain the grammar for this form?

For example, it is "Kreuzers" for Kreuzer XXXXX for award of the Flotten Kriegsabzeichen and so on.

Thanks, John

Comment

Schlachtschiffes would be a dative construction. For instance, "Die Bewaffnung des Schlachtschiffes war nicht ausreichend". That means, "The armament of the battleship was insufficient".

Comment

Thanks Vince. I see now, you must read the entire sentence of the award document which would lead you to the dative form. If you just skipped to the line with the name of the class of ship followed by the name of the ship, you would assume there was at least one maybe two mistakes, ie, plural "e" and plural followed by an "s" when that is actually correct and perhaps think the document was a fake due to a grammatical error.

Good to know when looking at these award documents.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X