A Great Day for Field Division Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Great Day for Field Division Fans

While stumbling through the world of the MVPA, I ran into a fellow in Germany that was offering me some assistance in trying to bring a vehicle over to the US. While corresponding with him, he told me that he had a relative that had been in a field division of the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. Naturally, that perked my interest so I asked him if he knew which one. He responded that he hasn't been able to determine yet which division that it was, but believes it to be either the 1.Feld or 6.Feld, both of which were on the Russian front. He also said that he had his relative's journal and offered me a copy. Naturally I accepted. He e-mailed it to me today and I began my translating process. It begins with his training and runs through his ultimate surrender and imprisonment. For those interested, this is a snippet of what I've translated thus far:

In the morning 19 March went it from the front loosely. Only artillery, then "Urraeh", and they came! We fell again from the shelter, went into our foxholes, and then drauf which the carbine gave. Now also the howitzers, which I had seen behind the Kremlin wall, helped us. I believe it was caliber of 28. Those worked enormously, about 80 meters before us went those to breaking into apart. There no eye remained drying! The Iwan had to again give up, but he tried it this day still twice. With the last mark the brown ones came nearly without rifles. They had to gather the rifles of the pleasures and then further. It did not use anything, because we resisted so well we could. In addition, with us the gaps became larger. At night meal and ammunition came, wounded and dead ones were removed. Of sleep was not to be thought, because both sides shot at everything, which moved. When on the other morning the artillery began again, we crept first times again into our shelters, while a post at each side of the shelter observed the area. If then the brown shapes emerged again, was highest alarm. We ran by the ditch, everyone on conditions, had to hinschmeissen us occasionally, because garnet was too close to. Then the situation was pinpointed, the machine guns briefly held already drauf and then fires from all pipes. But this time it would have gone wrong nearly, because were simply too many. The section, on which the attack took place, amounted to about 400 meters, the area up to the Wolchow of 150 meters. This whole strip wimmelte from brown shapes. There the rescue came for us, but for the Russians it was cruel. A nebelwerfer battery (those are six cannons with six rockets) behind us had driven and sent their benedictions to the Iwan against. One thought, the world goes down!! Only this dreadful Geheul, then the firing tires over us, and immediately thereafter we saw only FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!

I'm planning on having a very enjoyable weekend making my way through the rest of the journal.

Hi Jack. That's a pretty neat little snippet from the Journal. What year is this taking place, do you know? Also, I'm curious, are you using a translating program or a dictionary? Some of the phrases seem almost ad verbatim translations. I also like how you have the occasional german word left in the english version, "drauf, wimmelte, Geheul." I'm looking forward to your next segment.
    Cheers, Chris B.

Comment

Chris, I am using an on-line translator and will then go back and clean it up. I was so excited to get this, I just posted in the "dirty" form.

The above portion comes from March 1943. I've determined that the writer was a member of Luftwaffen Feld Division 1. I've just finished the translation up through early November 1943. They have just been taken over by the Heer, dissolved, reconstituted as 28th Jager Regiment. Surprisingly to me, he writes that they were reissued new uniforms with the change-over that had the jager patch on it. Here's what he said about the change-over:

On 1 November 1943 the infantry in Air Force uniform was then buried finally. Our large field gentleman, Hermann Goering, we were subordinated to which up to then, had probably now enough ensuring also without us. We became the 28.Jager division assigned, whose location was Breslau. Were to the largest part Oberschlesier. Since our lieutenant colonel loose-became the command, naturally still quite many should be carried. All alarm units, except Kieck and Kaack, became NCOS. The Spiess had fusselig gesabbelt itself the mouth, but we did not want. I believe, that was our luck.

With the new unit all group leaders came into the position, only we both stayed forward. Since the medical officer Dr. Kreye had closed me because of my many accidents in the heart, I was abkommandiert as a litter bearer in the district. Herbert remained alarm unit. We both were durchgemogelt in such a way Obergefreite and to have us. The whole unit train, all Pferdekut, came also forward to the companies. The 28.Jager division had its own unit train and was in addition also still half Hott and half got Mot. we new uniforms, with the acorns of the hunters on the upper arm. Otherwise everything remained with the old person.

Comment

Gefällt es ja wirklich Ihnen? Not unlike a Certain German dealer whose "Third Wealthy" Babelfisch gives me giggles, I notice that "the fallen" turned into "pleasures" up in that first one.

But really-- this sounds quite promising. The guy had a flair for humorous writing and a turn of phrase. More please!

Comment

Hi Jack. November 1943 eh? I wonder at what point the doubt will creep into the poor guy's entries when he finally realizes the war is unwinable. I guess though, its not advisable to be "defeatist", even in a private "tagebuch". Those journals are real time capsules, a time I'm frankly glad I missed. Interesting stuff. I wonder what the translating program will do with "durchgemogelt.". Cheers, Chris B.
          Last edited by Chris B; 11-22-2003, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X