Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe KC winner

Hi,

Could someone please identify this KC recipient? The wedding took place on November 2, 1942, according to the date on the back of the photo.

John
    Attached Files

Great photo! Section of image enlarged, perhaps this will help.
    Attached Files

Comment

Luftwaffe KC winner

Hi Mike,

Thanks for enlarging that section. Is it me or do you think this brave man has more than just a KC? That is, it looks like he may have the Oak Leaves as well.

John

Comment

I cannot discern the EL (or not) but the rank appears to be Major. It looks to be my kind of wedding.

Comment

Luftwaffe KC winner

Hi Mike,

I wasn't sure if he has the Oak Leaves or not either. The photo isn't clear about that. Yes it looks like they had a fine wedding doesn't? For once the bride looks somewhat attractive. Can you tell if he was a fighter or a bomber pilot?

John

Comment

Luftwaffe KC winner

Is there anyone out there who can identify this brave flyer?

Comment

He looks a lot like Gerhard Schöpfel (JG26 and JG6).
              Attached Files

Comment

Gerhard Schöpfel

Hi Leroy,

Thanks I think that you've identified him. Schöpfel only had a KC, the guy in the photo looks like he had the Oak Leaves, but I'm probably just seeing things. Too bad we can't find out when he got married as that would confirm the identity. He passed away May 17, 2003. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

The only other two I can think of are Wolfgang Spate and Heniz Nacke. Both made Major (or higher) and Spate got the Oakleaves (although after looking closely under magnification, I don't think this fellow has the Oakleaves).

Here's Nacke.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And Spate. I do think Schöpfel is still the best bet at this point.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Schopfel

I agree Leroy, Schopfel is our best bet. Thanks for the help.

Comment

John,

Can you make out the groom's award on his right breast pocket behind the flowers? That might help you differentiate between Nacke (Spanienkreuz) and Schöpfel (DKiG).

Also, didn't Spate receive the KC on 23/4/42, Schöpfel 18/11/44 and Nacke 2/11/40? Of these three names, it can't be Schöpfel if the wedding was 2/11/42.

Maybe the wedding date is symbolic of being on the (2-yr) anniversary of Nacke's award date?

Just some thoughts...

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X