• Show
Clear All

German soldiers in Indo-China

*Please delete this thread, I misread a sentence in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=380123216968

Jan-Willem.
    Last edited by J-W.Bode; 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM. Reason: *

Absolutely!!
    There were many SS guys who signed up with the French Foriegn Legion in '45. There was a tradition that the Legion never asked questions about your past. The result was an entire goup of Germans under French direction in Indochina. Their story is absolutely fascinating. There is a book written on their exploits called "Devils Guard" by Elford. It's a recommended read.
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

gERMANS IN iNDOCHINA

LAKESIDETRADER

On the International Forum under Indochina Wars 1945-75 there is a
      Indochina paper & documents thread which shows a letter from Germans in the FFL 13 demi brigade. Look for post #2 and #13. The book you mention has a second volume called something like "Return to Inferno" or something to that effect. The first book is somewhat true but the second is all bs.

Also, there were a lot of German weapons used by the VC. I carried a Mauser 98K bayonet for a fighting knife in 1972.

The ebay lot is not understood by me but it mentions PHAN THIET which is a sea coast town in former South Vietnam. Is the document for a soldier that died in French Indochina?

Joe Cartafalsa

Comment

Interesting to see the guy was from GJR 136 of the 2 Geb.Div.
        Quite a change in operational theaters, from the arctic to the jungle. But i did the same myself, only happily for me only on exercise.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X