No announcement yet.

SS "Das Reich" StuG Officer Photo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had heard from other collectors that Horst Gresiak made numerous copies of his photo album after the war. And I have seen many of his photos sold at different times on E-Bay Germany and on Militaria321 auction.
    Now I would imagine Horst made dups of some of his photos during the war also, for friends and family, but it just seams strange that there are so many of these rare images out there. I would think the "originals" are still with the family and all these are Horsts copies! I can't prove it but!
    Just my opinion!
    By the way I purchased 2 albums of the reported Horst Gresiak albums years ago from a dealer.Not knowing much in the way of original war time photos, I took a chance. I found out later when I wanted to use the albums in a trade that they were fake put togethers! Were they done post war by Gresiak himself or by?
    Tim

Comment

Here is a couple of mine!
      Tim
      P.S. most have a straight edge and no writing on the back!
      Tim
      Last edited by Tim W; 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

and!
        Last edited by Tim W; 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thankx for the sane answer Tim, it's much appreciated.

I guess a complete novice like me has a LOT to learn.....

**** I should have stuck to collecting Marbles and Tea Spoons.....

;-)

"Hundestaffel"
          Last edited by Hundestaffel; 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hundestaffel View Post
            **** I should have stuck to collecting Marbles and Tea Spoons.....

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Dear "Hundestaffel" don't feel to bad! If you like the photo, enjoy it! Like I said I bought the hole album, alot of $, but I still love it. There's some unseen shots in the album to. I had gotten out of the uniform collecting aspect because I got burned. And I wanted to start collecting photos instead. It happens to all of us.
              Tim

Comment

Thankx again TIM for the SANE answer.

Being a professional Archivist / Historian for literally decades, I've handled (and this is an understatement !!!) my "fair share" of original, period produced photos and paper documents . For various technical reasons (of which I'm professionally schooled in), I am confident that the photo I posted is indeed a period produced example. An actual example from his own family files ??? Of course not. A current copy ??? For the reason mentioned above (i.e. the schooling / training in regards to photos), I personally am of the opinion that this specific print is not a post-war copy. Then again, this "Old Dog" is only human, and has definitely made his share of collecting mistakes in the past !!!

At any rate, I do very much appreciate (with one exception) everyone's comments in this thread.

Thankx guys.....

"Hundestaffel"
                Last edited by Hundestaffel; 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim W View Post
                  I had heard from other collectors that Horst Gresiak made numerous copies of his photo album after the war. And I have seen many of his photos sold at different times on E-Bay Germany and on Militaria321 auction.
                  Now I would imagine Horst made dups of some of his photos during the war also, for friends and family, but it just seams strange that there are so many of these rare images out there. I would think the "originals" are still with the family and all these are Horsts copies! I can't prove it but!
                  Just my opinion!
                  By the way I purchased 2 albums of the reported Horst Gresiak albums years ago from a dealer.Not knowing much in the way of original war time photos, I took a chance. I found out later when I wanted to use the albums in a trade that they were fake put togethers! Were they done post war by Gresiak himself or by?
                  Tim

Hi Tim!
                  I think well as I that the most probable hypothesis is that these photos are post war copies.
                  The back of the my copy:

10_19_4.JPEG

Roberto

Comment

Bobbe:

Thankx for posting the back of your photo.

Just to clarify, the photo I posted does not have such a stamping on it's reverse (that stamping is indeed not of wartime vintage), the paper of my photo also being of different manufacture. You will note the development differences between our two photos also, the clearest being the difference in the lighter (mine) / darker (yours) shading of the photos. They were definitely and unquestionably "produced" at different times....

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Originally posted by Hundestaffel View Post
                      Bobbe:

Thankx for posting the back of your photo.

Just to clarify, the photo I posted does not have such a stamping on it's reverse (that stamping is indeed not of wartime vintage), the paper of my photo also being of different manufacture. You will note the development differences between our two photos also, the clearest being the difference in the lighter (mine) / darker (yours) shading of the photos. They were definitely and unquestionably "produced" at different times....

"Hundestaffel"

Mr. Hundestaffel,

as a professional Archivist / Historian for literally decades you HAVE to know that seeing is beliving, and I still haven't seen the scans I asked for.

Jan-Willem.

Comment

Originally posted by J-W.Bode View Post
                        Mr. Hundestaffel,

as a professional Archivist / Historian for literally decades you HAVE to know that seeing is beliving, and I still haven't seen the scans I asked for.

Jan-Willem.

...and with that type of attitude, you won't be seeing the scans you asked for.

Again, many thankx to the fellows who were kind enough to write polite and helpful comments in this thread....

Have a good one, Lads !!!

;-)

"Hundestaffel"
                        Last edited by Hundestaffel; 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X