Posthumous U-Boat Doc Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posthumous U-Boat Doc Set

Just bought from Thomas Huss ( www.german-historica.de )

The actual condolence letter is signed by Günther Kuhnke, Knights Cross winner and Flotilla Commander of 10 U-Flotille in Lorient. Quick check of boats lost by that Flotilla show only one lost on that day, U-540,(Kapitänleutnant Lorenz Kasch) a new Type IXC on her first war cruise. She was caught on the surface by two Liberators of Coastal Command. Both aircraft attacked, one keeping the flak gunners occupied (U-540 obeyed Dönitz orders to fight it out on the surrface) whilst the other attacked with cannon and depth charges. First batch of depth charges straddled her, second lot broke her back. She was seen with both bows and setrn pointing high in the air before sinking, her spine snapped. There were no survivors.

Another letter with the set informs the family that they will be sent his Wehrpass to retain in remembrance of him.
    U-Boot Archiv will be able to provide more info and photos of U-540.

Posthumous U-Boat Docs are rare. Been looking for a good example of this type preferably with some additional background material for some years now. Asked Thomas to look out for one for me. Few weeks later, bang-here it is.

Can't believe my good luck in finding a solid trustworthy dealer who can actually supply first class original U-Boat material, usually harder to find than hens teeth

Well he certainly has some nice u-boat stuff, can see why you shop there Gordon.

He has the woven u-boat warbadge for sale at E300, I know the basic script on these badges won't have changed but I sure wish the u-boat collectors would finalize a decision on these as I would'nt like to sell someone a fake nor give away a E300 badge. Cost me £20 so I'm not into it for much, but would be good to let it move on.

I believe there are similar badges which fail a burn test, which the type I have does'nt, I would say the one the dealer has is identical to mine, perhaps there are 2 seperate items, one fake one original.

well any input from the u-boat guys welcome.

Colin

Comment

Very interesting! The only posthumous document I've ever seen was for a member of the Scharnhorst, and that was a standard type form filled in as normal.

BTW, I can't see whatever is invisible in blue print on dark brown in your text, Gordon.

Comment

Great U-Boat documents. You say that you like !st class U-boat docs so have a look at www.jungco.homestead.com there's a great soldbuch there for sale that belonged to a Matrosen Obergefreiter who was aboard U846 when she was sunk off Cape Ortegal on May 4 1944. There were no survivors.

Comment

Here is another from the same period as Gordon's.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Gordon,

Nice U-Boot posthumus group.

I have one for a U-461 (milk cow) crew member come with all the papers and the U-Boot Kriegsabzeichen (GWL).

Regards,

Michel
            Attached Files
            Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Michel,

That is a truly wonderful set. Just what I would expect from you ! If possible sometime can you send me individual images of the documents for my records ?

Larrister,
                thanks for the link. Looks like a nice Soldbuch. I was fortunate enough to grab several top notch U-Boat Soldbücher / Wehrpässe a year or so back from a big collection that was being broken up. Mostly these days I am trying to track down examples of the various maker marked U-Boat Badges but stillhad a couple of "must have" documents on my list, this being one of them. I also got a nice Wehrpass from Thomas for a worker at the Deutsche Werke shipyard. They made surface ships as well including some of the famous warships, but during the dates in these docs, U-Boats were there prime output, so its nice to have a doc for the guys who made them as well as the guys who sailed in them.

Colin,
                the "BeVo" style woven U-Boat badge is very heavily faked which puts a lot of people off them. The only ones I would trust are , as you say, those where the treads don't fail the burn test ( and which usually have the maker mark K.E.E.N. woven into the backing. ) Also there is no evidence yet I am aware of , of the woven type actually being worn, though there are photos of embroidered ones in wear. Personally I don't like them, but I think there are originals, like the one Thomas has, out there.

Rick, the bit you cant read is just a link to Thomas' website. I don't know why it came out in that wierd color. http://www.german-historica.de

Thomas used to sell on E-Bay under the name Fischcop. E-Bay buying was always a huge gamble but he was one I would always buy from with total confidence. I am of course totally prejudiced in his favor because he finds me wonderful U-Boat stuff (like the six rivet Deschler DK to a U-Boat commander I posted recently in the Crosses Forum), but seriously I was delighted to see him start up his website and I'm sure he will quickly develop a reputation as one of the better guys to deal with. I know several Forum members are already using him.

Comment

All readers appreciate your sharing of three extremely rare documents which nevertheless could be expected from Gordon, Bill and Michel... Thank you!

I have been in contact with Thomas for a few years now, though they say he is at best with U-boat stuff, he has provided me with exceptional items that are in my preference.

Comment

another example
                    Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:34 AM.
                    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Another one for an U-261 crew member, but only one patrol '1 Sep 1942 to 15 Sep 1942' 15 days at sea...
                      Sunk 15 Sept, 1942 west of the Shetlands, in position 59.50N, 09.28W, by depth charges from a British Whitley aircraft (Sqdn. 58/Q). 43 dead (all hands lost).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great items.
                        Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Some great documents.

Just recieved these images from Thomas of a similar document set in his own collection.

Boat in question was U-222. Thomas also his his Wehrpass and other documents.

Some people have all the luck !

Comment

From some brief research there seems to be two types, one with an ornate border and one a plain thick block border. From those I have seen together with the ones pictured on this thread the more ornate type seems to be the earlier issue (42) and the plain border (43+). However ornate one is shown in the thread dated 44, could this have been "old stock"?

In summary the earliest I have seen is about mid 42. Can we assume that these were not issued prior to 42. Perhaps this document may have been introduced to reflect the dramatic increase in U-boat losses at the time?.

Losses
                            1939 - 9
                            1940 - 24
                            1941 - 35
                            1942 - 86
                            1943 - 243
                            1944 - 251
                            1945 - 120

I have also not seen one dated 45 although the losses were still comparitively high, perhaps this is more due to the situation towards the end of the war than anything else.

I would welcome any other views / comments information especially in relation to the earliest and latest dates of the documents in collections and the corresponding date of the U-boat that was sunk.

Regards
                            Rob,
                            Regards, Rob
                            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hello Rob,
                              Early doc, not printed only a typewriter addition.
                              Best,
                              Michel
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X