awards paperwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awards paperwork

Hi, i am chasing a few awards to the same guy and they all come with papers, can anybody tell me anything about his rgt,am i right in thinking it could be fj ? and if they look ok,i think they are all good but best being sure cheers Dave
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sscrooge; 03-22-2009, 10:45 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Dave,

Both of the documents look fine, in my opinion. Looks like the EK2 document was signed by Johannes Gittner and the date of award falls within the time frame that Gittner had temporary command of the Fifth Jäger Division as an Oberst. Gittner ended up having the rank of Generalmajor. He was awarded the German Cross in Gold on 17 September 1944. Here is a link to some more information on Gittner:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/HEER/Genmaj-Heer_G_List.html&ei=e13GScTWHIfsnQf7yeScDQ&sa=X&oi =translate&resnum=9&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgeneralmajor%2Bjohannes%2Bgittner%26h l%3Den%26sa%3DG

(click on his name, which is listed alphabetically, in order to see his career information)

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The Infantry Assault Badge document looks to be signed by Oberstleutnant Helmuth Thumm, as the Regimental Commander of Jäger Regiment 56 (part of the Fifth Jäger Division).

Thumm attained the rank of General der Infanterie. He was awarded the Knight's Cross on 30 June 1941 and the Oakleaves on 23 December 1942.

Here is a link with some info on Thumm:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...r/T/ThummH.htm

Best regards,
        Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by sscrooge View Post
          Hi, i am chasing a few awards to the same guy and they all come with papers, can anybody tell me anything about his rgt,am i right in thinking it could be fj ? and if they look ok,i think they are all good but best being sure cheers Dave
          Hello Dave,

Just now noticed your question. No, this unit was not Fallschirmjäger, but standard Army Light Infantry.

Best regards,
          Tom
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thank you very much Tom that info is fantastic ,its appreciated, i just now need to make sure my offer is accepted for them, cheers Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sscrooge; 03-22-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Here is another page of information on Thumm. (Note the signature)

http://www.specialcamp11.fsnet.co.uk...th%20Thumm.htm
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The document for the Black Wound Badge also looks good, but I have no idea who the First Battalion Commander of Jäger Regiment 56 was.

Do the documents also come with the guy's medals?
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi, yes all three are with the docs, they were apparently donated to a cancer charity by the soldiers sister, they are now taking offers for them and will sell individually so i am after buying them to keep together and wont bid on them seperately, thanks again dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

e
                    Attached Files

Comment

j
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi, yes all three are with the docs, they were apparently donated to a cancer charity by the soldiers sister, they are now taking offers for them and will sell individually so i am after buying them to keep together and wont bid on them seperately, thanks again dave
                        Hi Dave,

Looks like three nice medals to go with the documents. And good for you for wanting to keep the integrity of this grouping intact. Parting out a grouping like this is nothing but historical vandalism.

Best regards,
                        Tom
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom, i managed to get them IAB is mm shuko and ek is mm 100, thanks again for your help, cheers Dave
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom, i managed to get them IAB is mm shuko and ek is mm 100, thanks again for your help, cheers Dave
                            Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad you were able to get the entire grouping and keep it intact. Congratulations!

Best regards,
                            Tom
                            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

just had an email from the charity,they said the lady who donated them came back into the shop, it turns out its kopfs daughter, she told the shop that he was captured on 4th sept 44 by the russians and was released in 1948 he then returned to freiburg , its nice to find out a bit more on the guy and at least he survived, rgds Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X