demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do we stop the flood of “Soviet Archive” photos??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we stop the flood of “Soviet Archive” photos??

Hi everyone,

The proliferation of “Soviet Archive” photos to unsuspecting collectors makes me sick.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to counter, or fight back this scourge? We need to protect our fellow collectors from this fraud, especially the ones just starting to collect and don’t know any better.

Best regards,
    John

Naming and shaming might be a start

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan M View Post
      Naming and shaming might be a start

Jonathan
      I don't think that there is anything other to do, than report them when you come across them ... Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

I would say there is next to nothing you can do except keep yourself up to date on the current trends in fakes and pass on any knowledge and information websites you can when you meet a collection filled with Russian, Ukrainian, etc .... fakes.

Cheers

Karl

Comment

Know your stuff and 'save' yourself.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input.

What set me off was that I was surfing Gunbroker.com other day and there's a seller from Latvia selling this bogus crap and getting $15 or more per 'photo'. And worse yet, he has almost 2700 in feedback. Fellow collectors being ripped off on such a large scale makes me furious.

I wish there was a way to contact this auction site and let them know they are 'aiding an abetting" FRAUD!

I tried to contact a couple current bidders to warn them directly, but that option is blocked.

Still ticks me off

Take care,
            John
            Last edited by johninhb; 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Please, show some example's, to learn.
              I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
              Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
              My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

fssgshgrsgr

Can you explain what archive photo means related to this thread?

Comment

I do not worry about these so-called 'soviet archive' photo's and neither should any other experienced photo collector. Once you have seen one you have seen them all. They just don't look like 'the real deal'. There's a way too big contrast and the paper is often a bit 'bleachy'.

But I do worry though a bit about photo's like these:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=022

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390028833883

This is were knowledge about photo's becomes useless and you have to use your 'database' (head). These are the fakes you should be afraid of, not those cheap russian sh*t....

MvG,

J.W.L. Bode

(examples of russian archive photos:

http://cgi.ebay.de/1xFOTO-PANZER-TAN...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.de/1xFOTO-PANZER-TAN...1%7C240%3A1318

Nice example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Deut-Panzer-VI-Ti...1%7C240%3A1318

Note: these are not 'real' RA photo's, but they look 99% the same

Comment

Originally posted by hi-revr View Post
                    Can you explain what archive photo means related to this thread?
                    basically its repo photos with fake soviet archive stamps on them! sadly the only way to combat them is knowledge and let everyone know!!!

Comment

How about evey time a fake achive photo is advertised, copy and post it as a new fake in evey place that is possible that any new collector might visit, to include on this site in the fake and fraud dept.?

Comment

These guys are operating out of eastern block countries. Ive seen the same photo sold by over half a dozen different sellers names from the same area. They dont even let the auction play out. the beginning bids are always around 9.99, and then immedialtely you win. they are cranking them out from original negatives and old equipment, most likely fake stamps as stated. Dont buy photos from e bay. They make up photo albums now with original albums, and even stick in the photo corners to hold em in. Stick with usa sellers that guarantee their photos etc. Boycott overseas deals.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                          These guys are operating out of eastern block countries. Ive seen the same photo sold by over half a dozen different sellers names from the same area. They dont even let the auction play out. the beginning bids are always around 9.99, and then immedialtely you win. they are cranking them out from original negatives and old equipment, most likely fake stamps as stated. Dont buy photos from e bay. They make up photo albums now with original albums, and even stick in the photo corners to hold em in. Stick with usa sellers that guarantee their photos etc. Boycott overseas deals.
                          right , good idea! boycott Ebay pics and europeans dealers too

Comment

a good idea and one I have seen for other type militaria, is to place an add on ebay and title it "russian archive photos are fake" and then in the description state why they are fake.
                            reaches a whole lot of people that way.

mike

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
                              a good idea and one I have seen for other type militaria, is to place an add on ebay and title it "russian archive photos are fake" and then in the description state why they are fake.
                              reaches a whole lot of people that way.

mike
                              Perhaps someone with the know how (& time) could write an 'ebay guide' /buyers guide to WWII photographs specifically about recognising fakes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X