X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award documents

Hi,

Might me be a stupid question:

The dates on Awards documents, is it the day of receiving or the day of earning the Award? And what about letters sent to home, about receiving an award?

This is not meant for award documents like Krim, Kuban, East, because these dates are date of receiving, but for documents like IAB, EK etc. ?

Hope you understand what I mean!
    Thanks!

Hi dennisb, When the Award was Won, Is Not usually the Date the Award is issued. This is Example of what I mean. Hope this helps
    Attached Files

Comment

Not a simple question to answer. For campaign type qualification awards the date was often that when it was granted in unit\formation orders. The Ostmedaille is a good example, you will very often see 1942 dates on them refelcting when a unit granted the award to its members in orders yet the award document could have been issued years later although the only indication of that is the signing unit and officer.

For assault badges, the date would usually be when it was signed\issued but it could be many months after the qualifying actions.

For bravery awards, at least the lower ones, the date would be relatively soon after the action and reflect the award date. The exception are wound EKIIs that were handed out along with woundbadges, in these cases an EKII became in effect a qualification type award.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks Simon and justintime!

So it is real difficult to be sure if an award (like EKII, IAB) was awarded on the date that is written on the award..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X