Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAK Wachmantel Coat Photos?

Hi Team,
    I am hoping to gather any (I repeat - ANY!) information on the use of the tropical wachmantel in North Africa. If you have any photographs in your collections of tropical greatcoats, PLEASE look carefully for a sewing line situated 100mm above the base hem, or a horizontal side or verticle pocket?
    Please take time to look at this thread regarding one in my collection, along with period images I have sourced through publications -
    http://70.87.163.50/forums/showthread.php?t=343042
    I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP regarding the ongoing research into this extremely rare coat. If anyone can help, in the smallest way, with period images in their collection, I would be grateful.
    Many Thanks,
    Mark.

Mark,
    I have just finished my evening by going through just over 3800 photos of Afrikakorps photos and didn't find any shots of a Wachtmantel in wear. Sorry that I couldn't help but it does show that it is a rare item.

Mark G

Comment

Mark,
      Many Thanks - I really do appreciate your help.
      Keep Well,
      Mark

Comment

x
        Last edited by CSP; 05-31-2009, 09:53 AM.
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Indeed Scott!
          I noted this, and the image is quite clear.
          I was advised to get "The Private AFRIKAKORPS Photograph Collection of
          Rommel's Chief of Staff, Generalleutnant Fritz Bayerlein" by Patricia
          Spayd as this also shows more images of Bayerlein wearing this coat...
          Thanks for the information.
          Regards,
          Mark.

Comment

x
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott -
              Here's the photo you mentioned...this is also posted in the thread regarding the coat.
              Regards,
              Mark.
              Attached Files

Comment

x
                CSP

sigpic

Comment

Hi Team,
                  For those who are following this thread, I will add another image I have found.
                  This one comes from "Afrikakorps" 1941-1943 by Francois de Lannoy (Heimdal Publishers) page 286.
                  The coat is clearly the same version as mine, but the interesting point is that the photo is part of a group credited as being taken in July, 1941.
                  Regards,
                  Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Detail.
                    If anyone could help with further research into the use of this mantel in service in North Africa, please() pm me and make contact?
                    Best Regards,
                    Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Scott,
                      I just received my copy of the Bayerlein book this morning and found three clear images of the mantel. I'll take a bit more time and look at the collars in other shots, but here are some examples.
                      Regards to all,
                      Mark

First up, Cruwell wearing one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

A very sharp image of one in wear by an officer in conference with Bayerlein.
                        Attached Files

Comment

And Bayerlein wearing his mantel.
                          I'll post more if/when I find them.
                          Regards,
                          Mark.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's what I call cristal clear photography.
                            I was wondering though:
                            We have evidence that a so-called M40 Tuchmantel - Greatcoat, (small collar)was produced.
                            Ditto for M41 Übermantel( surcoat, small collar) and M43 Übermantel- Surcoat ( large collar) were produced. But here comes the "but":...
                            No period nor contemporary proof of a M42 Tuchmantel-Greatcoat (large collar) has been found to this date. I must have gone trough more than 4000+ photographs while I was researching for my book, but never found any picture of it.

What are the opinions on that?

Forgive my short explanations between brackets, but this is just as I don't want to tell you all the differences, as this would take far to much time (both for me to write and for You all to read).

Comment

Will go through my pics tonight. I am pretty sure I have a pic or two of the coat in wear. Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X