Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from the front translation help.

Hi,
    I am looking to get this letter translated into English please. I have a general idea of the letter, but would like a full translation.
    If anyone can help, or knows someone who can, we can sort something out if required.
    Many thanks.
    Lynton.
    Attached Files

Lynton,

the guy is writing to a friend of his battery and division who is in a hosital and he tells him the circumstances and changes which had happened in the last time. So he tells him about comrades who meanwhile have been wounded or KIA so as a guy called Eugen Grüber who is listed in the Volksbund list as Rottenführer (* 10.4.21 in Jägerhof KIA 11.3.43 near Charkow).
    Their former Adjutant Sepp A. is now commanding the battery and he has been awarded with E.K. I becaus he was very successful.

Gerdan

Comment

Hi Gerdan,

Thanks for your help. I am actually looking for a word for word translation of the letter if anyone can help.

Thanks,Lynton.

Comment

"Dear Heini !

For one month now we have been having repeating combat with the Russians.
        It seems to me as we will not be pulled back out of Russia any time soon. Today I (wish) to thank you hartfully for your loveful letter and I hope that things are now going somewhat better for you. My biggest wish is ofcourse that your damned woond / woonds to your right arm will be healed in the near future. It is slowly becoming an ailment for you to always lie in the hospital and not to be able to tell the day that you come out. As you certainly will have heard from the latest Wehrmacht-messages, your former division was once more put into a counter offensive and have reached their goal (Kharkhov). A month ago, Klaus was lightly injured, two days ago he was heavily injured as a Artillery Commander. I yet can not tell you what his injuries exactly are, but I hope that I can seek this out as soon as possible. In your former Battery, Gerhard Shult was severly injured. Oberscharführer Weid, Eigen, Grüber, Runge, Schmidt and Janssen did not survive their injuries. Ahsbahs as a Battery Chief, Grosslass and Biedermann also sustained severe injuries. You won't know the others.
        Our former Adjudant, Sepp A., is now the leader of the Batterie, and I can tell you that he has achieved good results, wherefor he was awarded the EK I. The same goes for Ahsbahs. Besides this, there is not much news to be told. I myself have lots of work to do, hence I have to work day and night.

Today I just wanted to write you a short letter, so that you know that I always think of you. When there is more time at hands, you will recieve a more detailed message.

For today I greet you with old, loyal comradeship and I wish you a god recovery.

Always yours."

Comment

Hi Vincent.

Many, many thanks for your help. That really is fantastic!!

I have sent you a PM.

Regards.Lynton.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X