Photo of SS combat troops in camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo of SS combat troops in camo

Just received this item, and I have no experience regarding authentication of period photos. I don't know if this is an original wartime print, or one that was printed later from wartime film. There are no markings or text on the reverse of the photo. All opinions appreciated.

The photo appears to be of SS troops setting up in a woodline. The main focus is on an MG-34 team, and to the left of center appears to be an anti-tank rifleman (Panzerbusche?). Most are wearing camo smocks and helmet covers. Thanks for taking a look.

Matt
    Attached Files

Interesting photo. Check it with a UV light (black light) and see how it reacts. That's the first thing I do when I get a photo for my collection.

Comment

David,

Thanks for the great advice. I use the blacklight test on all of the cloth items that I get, but didn't think to do it on a photograph.

Unfortunately, this item does "glow" under a blacklight, especially the reverse which has a more modern feel compared to other old photos that I have. I compared it under the blacklight with a known original photo brought back by a US soldier, and the known original was noticeably non-reactive.

Good lesson learned, which is why I am on this forum. Thankfully I don't have any money in this item.

Comment

Hi

Where did you pick the photo up from?

Cheers

Karl

Comment

This photo came to me from an acquaintance, who purchased it within the past two years from someone on eBay. The seller had represented it as an original wartime photograph. However, it is just a reprint that has been aged to look original.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper 1987 View Post
            David,

Thanks for the great advice. I use the blacklight test on all of the cloth items that I get, but didn't think to do it on a photograph.

Unfortunately, this item does "glow" under a blacklight, especially the reverse which has a more modern feel compared to other old photos that I have. I compared it under the blacklight with a known original photo brought back by a US soldier, and the known original was noticeably non-reactive.

Good lesson learned, which is why I am on this forum. Thankfully I don't have any money in this item.
            Glad you got something out of my advice. I've never seen an original that glowed so I'm pretty confident that UV testing is 100% accurate for photos. I've purchased several off ebay over the years and by in large most have been modern. However, I have gotten some real gems too like these two.

Note that the top image has a nice embossed photographer's stamp.

Comment

Great photo though even if it is postwar.

Peter

Comment

It may not be an absolute indicator of authenticity, but many of the period prints appear to have the ragged edges. The one original German photo that I have includes these rough edges.

Excellent portraits, by the way.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper 1987 View Post
                  David,

'Glowing' is normal. Does it glow like 'modern' paper or just faintly? Compare it, you could actually be suprised by the differences...!

MvG,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X