Partisans and thier Helpers will be Hung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partisans and thier Helpers will be Hung

This guy is out of a collection of photos that my Grandpapa took during his service in the Wehrmacht. There was and attack on a supply colume a few days before and this is what happened when the SS got hold of one..

Joe
    Attached Files

One that didn't get away.
    Last edited by Serge M.; 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM. Reason: Removal of smokey sticky due to complaints. -wagner-

Comment

I wouldn't pin this on SS unless there are other photos in the bunch that prove it.

This sort of summary execution (legal at the time) was carried out by many many units on the easter front.

To claim it was SS just perpetuates a well established myth.

Comment

Originally posted by wags View Post
        One that didn't get away.
        Your comment is a little tacky, don't you think? The choice of using a smiley is tackier still. I don't think a modicum of respect is out of order.

Ramon
        Last edited by ramon; 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ramon View Post
          Your comment is a little tacky, don't you think? The choice of using a smiley is tackier still. I don't think a modicum of respect is out of order.

Ramon

I have to agree, I thought this was a serious forum for collectors of historial military memorabilia, it seems that it also attracts the usual fruit-loops, sad really.

regards

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
            I wouldn't pin this on SS unless there are other photos in the bunch that prove it.

This sort of summary execution (legal at the time) was carried out by many many units on the easter front.

To claim it was SS just perpetuates a well established myth.
            Well this information came from my Grandpapa cause he said there was a Totenkopf unit in the area that took care of these things. He hated the SS saying they messed things up for the Regular Soldier with the Locals.

Joe

Comment

I wish to remind we have to distinguish between Waffen-SS and VT-SS.
              Please we have not to lump together.

Best regards

Snipeer1944

Comment

Originally posted by ramon View Post

Ramon
                I have to agree with Ramon too. It's a shame things like this happened on both ends and the smiley face is to far. My Grandpapa told me that the regular locals were happy to see the Germans cause they feared Stalin. After his and many other units passed throught it was a different story and welcome when they came back in retreat due to the things the SS or Police did.

Joe

Comment

Cool Photo,

Any idea on location or timeframe?

Interesting perspective normally not seen.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe002us View Post
                    Cool Photo,

Any idea on location or timeframe?

Interesting perspective normally not seen.

Joe
                    Back of photo has Izyum .Januar 1943 ?

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, I have always found the rear area fights fascinating overall.

Joe

Comment

There is nothing "cool" about these pictures. The partisans were a hard reality on the eastern front and most other occupied areas. These were dangerous grounds both for partisans and the soldiers stationed there. These photos are not uncommon and the partisan warfare became more intense and ruthless as the war neared its end. Here is another example.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
                          There is nothing "cool" about these pictures. The partisans were a hard reality on the eastern front and most other occupied areas. These were dangerous grounds both for partisans and the soldiers stationed there. These photos are not uncommon and the partisan warfare became more intense and ruthless as the war neared its end. Here is another example.
                          Perhaps the meaning of my stating its a cool photo has been taken out of context. I primarily study the support services, Veterinary, Medical, Transport Admin and such. The units who operated within the interior to an extent and thus ended up either on the recieving end or impressed in fighting the partisans due to the vicinity or what not. I am well aware of the brutality that escalated in most areas very much to the point of lawlessness in certain areas. Also aware of the escalating brutality exhibited by poth the Partisans and the security forces set out to engage them. lastly the reference to these photos not normally seen deals with the fact that there are those who would exploit and publish only these types of imagery, and those that would supress photos such as these. Seeing as I dont frequent the beforementioned sites with political motives, These images to myself would come across as uncommon to post.
                          I have a few photos here dealing with the aftermath of partisan attacks, cleanup and burial. To me these images tell more of a story than most books ever have.
                          Thanks for sharing the second image.

Regards,
                          Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper1944 View Post
                            I wish to remind we have to distinguish between Waffen-SS and VT-SS.
                            Please we have not to lump together.

Best regards

Snipeer1944
                            Didn't the VT become the waffen SS 2SSDiv.'Das Reich'? There were einsatzgruppen Schuma and polizei units that committed many atrocities, but the waffenSS and regular army did their share of reprisals as well. The 3SSDiv 'Totenkopf' is well documented for its heavy handedness in dealing with partizans and other suspected enemies.

Comment

Not very nice photos. But interesting.
                              I understand the partisans. The Germans were intruders.
                              On the other hand, if you are fighting as a soldier, you shall wear a uniform or a brassard to be recognized as one, otherwise you don´t have a soldiers rights.
                              And SS – Waffen-SS or SS-VT – were not the only ones executing people. And the Germans were not alone.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X