Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmation Needed on This Photo

Greetings All,

I purchased this photo from a reputable dealer from whom I have done business before. However, I have doubts about this photo. The feel of the paper seems off as is the glossy look of the image. The papers is also marked as follows:

"This paper manufactured by kodak"

Due to the color of the back, I'm not sure how a scan of the reverse will work out, but I will try for one. As I said, I'm having serious doubts about this pic, so I would appreciate some opinions before I contact the dealer with my concerns.

Thank you,

Chris
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Reverse. Again, very clean white stamped glossy paper marked:

"This paper manufactured by kodak"
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Comment

Chris:

My humble opinion...given the paper..modern re-print.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Slavick View Post
        Chris:

My humble opinion...given the paper..modern re-print.

Joe
        That was my though the moment I touched this photo Joe, but this seller is quite well schooled in photos, in fact, I think he deals in them exclusively. So, I don't see how a modern Kodak reprint could just slip by like this. Also, when I bought the photo, I only saw a scan of the obverse.

It was described as follows:

THIS IS ONE OF MANY RARE IMAGES OFFERED TODAY OF BOMBED CITIES IN GERMANY - BERLIN, DUSSELDORF, MAINZ, ETC. IMAGES SUCH AS THESE WERE ILLEGAL TO TAKE AND ARE RARE TO FIND, IMPOSSIBLE OF THIS QUALITY. MOST ARE OF PUBLISHABLE QUALITY. MOST ARE MARKED "SECRET/FORBIDDEN TO BE PUBLISHED" ON REVERSE!

ALL ARE 100% ORIGINAL WARTIME PHOTOS, NOT POST-WAR REPRODUCTIONS OR MODERN COPIES!!
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

Don't like it. Also I've saw the photo before.

Comment

You can see quite clearly these are dead soldiers so 'bombed cities' doesn't ring true to start with. Also, it's clear this is a copy of a copy and from a print too due to the quality.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Next to your thoughts and gut feeling; try UV light, if positive reflection, then it is for sure a post war reproduction, that is my experience with these and other paper items.

Comment

Originally posted by deejay View Post
                Next to your thoughts and gut feeling; try UV light, if positive reflection, then it is for sure a post war reproduction, that is my experience with these and other paper items.
                Learn that UV-Blacklight tests are USELESS! They don't help a thing.
                If you want to read more: http://www.hitlerjugend.net/general-...ting-t1131.htm

@Simon, indeed. This photo reminds me of German POW/guards who were shot.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X