Just a curious photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a curious photo

It was taken in Munich in 1939. Afrika Corpsmen on Kyffhaeuser Day celebration.

Mike
    Attached Files

Afrika Corpsmen 1939 in Munich? Sure...

Originally posted by GEPRUFT View Post
    It was taken in Munich in 1939. Afrika Corpsmen on Kyffhaeuser Day celebration.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hohenlohe View Post
      Afrika Corpsmen 1939 in Munich? Sure...
      Yes, that's right. WWI veterans from the German colonies in Africa.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

odd and interesting pic of rarely seen uniforms. esp. the fold-brim hat that looks like an Aussie bush hat! ordinary germans must've wondered about these guys...

thanks.

Comment

I would prefer n o t to name theses guys of WWI and earlier "Afrika Corpsmen".

In my opinion the Afrika Corps is a special name reserved only for those participants of WWII.

Gerdan

Comment

Unlike the Afrika Korps, the soldiers that fought in German East Afrika never surrendered and technically 'won' in WW1. The armistice was signed and they were still not even close to being defeated. With a lot of the troops being black afrikans they held the British off for years, almost always outnumbered and out gunned. I suspect that far from being "wondered about" the average German knew who they were and looked upon them as heroes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X