Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propaganda Sketches of sort

Gents,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this (Moderator, please feel free to move if necessary).

I have been offered these 7 sketches. At the moment all I have is the photos that you can see. The guy selling them is pretty reliable, but they will be big bucks!!

I am led to believe that Whitt was an English artist who drew these to highlight the problem of the Jews in Germany. I may be well off the mark here. Anyway, the sketches are the originals and look fairly styalised.

Can anyone help with translation, if my ideas are right or indeed any other information.

Kind Regards

Steve
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

They appear to be stone lithograph or wood block prints. I do not recognize the artists name.
                prinys 1, 4, 6 and 7 have been damaged by folding. print #3 has a small tear. Damage always affects value.
                Last edited by BryanD; 01-18-2009, 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You might google Witts name as an English artist and get an idea of his work and the values of same.
                  Remember damage seriously affects value.

Comment

Bryan,

I have put his name into Goggle and I cannot find any reference. I like them but don't think I can justify chucking 4 figures at em!

Has anyone else got any ideas?

Regards

Steve

Comment

They look like illustrations for a anti German novel or magazine from the 40s or 50s. The other illustrations look like woodcuts but I can't read the artist's name or the pencilled notes.
                      The Brit illustrations are not worth anything like 4 digits--in fact, unless this artist is someone very special, I'd say 3 digits would be very hard to get for them. For the German illustrations to be valued we'd need better pictures and a better shot of the writing on the lower edge and signature.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

Erich,

Many thanks for your help. I will see what I can do to get more detailed shots of the writing.

Regards

Steve

Comment

I hate to say it but judging from the style and subject matter.

I would try looking at prism comics

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X