Death card question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death card question...

I have recently received two death cards and on the back where the religious picture is on both..there is no writing...ex..most death cards i've seen or have in my possesion have some sort of religious writing on the back..one i have has a picture of a grave but the placard is blank and also the write-up on the soldier on the soldier says he was in the Brandenburger Jnt. the word infantry is spelled with a J... i will try to get pictures posted later today..my question is is this normal for some cards?..no writing on the reverse under the picture or a blank placard on the grave...and what about the mispelled word infantry..and i also know that there was a Brandenburg Division(?) but was it also called the Brandenburger infantry? maybe the pics will clear things up when i post them..

thanks in advance....

pics added.....
    Last edited by RichardC; 10-21-2003, 06:13 PM.

I was often replaced with a J to avoid any confusion with the number 1.

Best regards/ Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by D. Löwenhamn
      I was often replaced with a J to avoid any confusion with the number 1.

Best regards/ Daniel

Thanks for the info on the the spelling...

i guess thats why R.I.P. is also spelled R.J.P. on some cards..

one more added....
      Last edited by RichardC; 10-21-2003, 06:12 PM.

Comment

"Brandenburg",etc.

Originally posted by RichardC
        I have recently received two death cards and on the back where the religious picture is on both..there is no writing...ex..most death cards i've seen or have in my possesion have some sort of religious writing on the back..one i have has a picture of a grave but the placard is blank and also the write-up on the soldier on the soldier says he was in the Brandenburger Jnt. the word infantry is spelled with a J... i will try to get pictures posted later today..my question is is this normal for some cards?..no writing on the reverse under the picture or a blank placard on the grave...and what about the mispelled word infantry..and i also know that there was a Brandenburg Division(?) but was it also called the Brandenburger infantry? maybe the pics will clear things up when i post them..

thanks in advance....

pics added.....
        Hello,
        The German letter "I" is sometimes mistaken for the letter "J".
        This is also characteristic of the Old English form too.
        The Brandenburg Regiment(Heer)was a special operations unit composed of many ethnic Germans who were,often,Volksdeutsch and spoke many languages,especially Polish,Russian,and Dutch.
        They really pulled off some incredible feats but mostly in the East so are not so well known.Eventually they were incorporated into the 'elite Grossdeutschland Regt.,a conventional Panzer/Infantry unit.
        Another SS unit went by the same name-but were associated with Konzentrationlager and should'nt be confused with the Heer Brandenburgers.
        Either way,you have a rare item...
        Hope this helps.
        J.von Canon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X