CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for photos (or books with photos) of Kriegsmarine white pith helmet in wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for photos (or books with photos) of Kriegsmarine white pith helmet in wear

Does anyone have any pictures of the white Kriegsmarine pith helmet in wear? Either in your collection or if you've seen some pictures in a book, please point me in that direction.

I'm also looking for pictures of the Kriegemarine officers brocade belt being worn with the white uniform.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Here's one from my collection
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

KM Pith

Thanks for sharing Simon, that's a great photo.

I wasn't sure if anyone would have pictures of this helmet being worn. I was very surprised to see the Kriegsmarine fighting on land, do you know any details about where the picture was taken? What type of unit are they?

Comment

Actually i do, it was taken on exercise in Haiti in April 1936 during the world cruise of the Kreuzer Emden.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Pith in wear

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the additional details, although I'm baffled by why a crew from a kreuzer would be fighting on land.

I know that Auxiliary Cruiser crews wore these helmets because they were in the south so much, but I wasn't sure what other units might have worn them too.

Any other white pith helmet photos out there guys?

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
            Hi Simon,

Thanks for the additional details, although I'm baffled by why a crew from a kreuzer would be fighting on land.

I know that Auxiliary Cruiser crews wore these helmets because they were in the south so much, but I wasn't sure what other units might have worn them too.

Did they not supply their own security detail when in dock possibly in conjuction with Zoll and Wasser Poliezi?

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
              Hi Simon,

They're called 'landing parties' and as mentioned this is an exercise so no fighting involved. A common task of all navies and all ages.

Comment

John,

the following pictures are from the 1944 publication,"Die Kriegsfahrt Des Hilfskreuzers Atlantis".
                The book was compiled by the ships adjutant,Ulrich Mohr.
                We can see the white helmet being worn by Hilfskreuzer crewmen,as you mentioned.

Regards,Martin.
                Attached Files

Comment

Atlantis 2.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Atlantis 3.
                    Attached Files

Comment

if some one will help me post a pic(im still sorting my membership out and i cant use my paypal as there a bunch of muppets) iv got a pic of the crew of u 172 wearing them mind patrol as they pass over the equater!!

Comment

Here is Paddy's photo of the U-172 crossing the Equator.Nice photo.

Regards,Martin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

thanks for posting the pic! its one of my favourite!!

Comment

KM Pith pictures

Simon thanks for the additional info. Forgive my ignorance but my interest in the Kriegsmarine only began a few months ago after visiting Cuxhaven, Kiel, and LaBoe. My knowledge on that branch of the Wehrmacht is in it's virgin stage. I've only been able to read about U-Boote and Hiflskreuzer so far. Didn't know there were actual landing parties from cruisers. By chance can you recommend any good books for me on the subject?

Martin thanks for posting those great Atlantis pictures from Herr Mohr. I tried to buy that book last month but was outbid. I'm happy to be able to see some of it's fantastic contents.

Paddywack thanks for your wonderful picture too. I read about the tradition with ole' Neptune at the equator on the Hilfskreuzers, so it is interesting to see the U-boats did it too. Great view of the pith helmets.

Does anyone have pictures of officers wearing the white pith or the white pith being worn with the white dress tunic?

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=329825

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X