prelim kc document opinions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger View Post
    Can't lay my hands on my Kumm VB document copy at the moment. It came direct to me from Kumm in the mid 1980s.

Mark

Hi Mark-

Your comments on the Kumm RK VB are most welcome. As an RK document collector, I always wondered what the story behind this one was.

For whatever it's worth, I have always felt that this is not his original VB. I have owned and studied many original RK VB, and the only ones that that I've ever seen with this stamp were bad and the signature, a fake Schmundt?

John

Comment

John

Thanks for your interesting comment. I knew many SS KC holders who had copies of a prelim with their name, unit, and date made from an original blank. As the prelim KC is often generally the same except for the name, I always asked for other documents for illustrations, signatures, etc. I found far more (in SS) who had a formal GC document than any level of KC award. With Kumm's status as founder of HIAG would be logical to assume he could ask for most anything he wanted to be made. I'm rather sure the formal GC document in his bio is correct. Seems odd he would not have his higher awards (or both prelim and formal formats) replicated if he did so with the KC prelim. Some obviously had their original KC prelim and I illustrated them if somewhat unique. See the Schulze KC in volume 2 of "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police." The same book has a formal GC for Thaler. As a side note, many KC holders were more proud of a Wound Badge in Gold document than their original KC award.

I'm a fact and data historian/researcher, so listen to collector experts regards originality of militaria such as documents unless the fakes have obvious wrong fact data or signatures (forged or incorrect person). I see many bad documents sold/for sale with those types of mistakes.

Comment

Hi Mark-

Thanks for your explanation. In that context, I think the Kumm document makes more sense now. Who knows why people do what they do? Perhaps Kumm lost the original? I definitely think you are right though, that as the founder of HIAG he was in a position to do what he wanted and that could be the genesis of this document.

There's no question in my mind though the source of the Kumm, Prost, and also the Olboeter RK VB are the same. They all have similar traits, most particularly the stamp. All three of these VB's use the same stamp and it's not one that has ever appeared on an original VB.

Thanks for shedding a little more light on background the Kumm VB and the practice of soldiers replicating VB's also.

Regards,
        John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X