Demjansk Shield Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demjansk Shield Document

Hi guys,I picked this up today and was trying to see if it was good. The Signature looks good compared to others I have looked up here but would like to be sure. Thanks in advance for any help!
    David R.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David R.; 10-27-2008, 05:00 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Any one have any thoughts on this one ?
      David R.

Comment

Don't know if it matters, but I think it's pretty "uncommon" not to write "Pz." with a capital letter and use a "J" instead of a "f" in "Totenkopf". Especially in the latter case, there is no explanation why a native speaker of German would do that.

gk

Comment

I don't like the stamping on this document: date and rank....and as said by gk, too many typing errors in this one.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

The spelling mistakes are a worry but these things can happen, i think the typface used is more helpful but you'd have to compare ideally with other examples from the same battalion or even company.

If you concentrate on a reasonably small collecting area it's quite possible to learn small details like a particular typewriter being used by a particular unit, ink colour on stamps or signatures, that sort of thing.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by grobkörnig View Post
              ...edit...
              and use a "J" instead of a "f" in "Totenkopf". Especially in the latter case, there is no explanation why a native speaker of German would do that.

gk
              Looks like the top half of the "f" may not have struck hard enough; a better closeup of that portion of the document would probably help.

My thoughts were the "Fuer die Richtigkeit" signature looks suspect, but somebody familiar with the unit or SS personalities might know who's signature it is.

best
              Hank
              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Typeface

I know a lot more about typewriters than Award Documents, so take it for what it's worth. The italic typeface is rare and only seen in European models before (and around) the WWII era. I've seen many machines for sale with the famous "elite key" single SS but I've NEVER seen an italic typeface typewriter for sale anywhere. That is not to say they don't exist, just that they are RARE. So perhaps likely it's old, but I always defer to the more specific expertise of the members here. They (you) are simply amazing in depth of knowledge.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X