No announcement yet.

Operation Bernhard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Max - Does your pound note have a waternmark in the paper?

Some additional links on the forum to fellow assist forum members...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=304361

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=200316
    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

They used to cost less than a genuine period British banknote but don't know about now, especially since the Counterfeiters movie.

They do look easy to forge but that was not the case, well not to fool the Bank of England that is. There are numerous security checks on the banknotes. Little white dots that look like a printing imperfection to the layman were actually deliberately placed checks.

The Germans caught many of them but not all. There were also errors in the watermark on the German forgeries. So once the forged notes were first detected it was quite straightforward for the Bank of England to spot them.

Still the BoE did remove all large circulation banknotes from circulation after the war and it was the end of the white fiver design. A £50 note was not reintroduced into circulation until 1980.

We discussed these in a thread recently in the Community forum.

Comment

OP Bernhard

Hello I have a 5 pound note from op bernhard.Its very brown not white anymore but in great overall condition i bought it from a note dealer here in devon i paid 60 pounds for it but would be happy to sell it for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wolfe View Post
          Hello I have a 5 pound note from op bernhard.Its very brown not white anymore but in great overall condition i bought it from a note dealer here in devon i paid 60 pounds for it but would be happy to sell it for that.
          Are you able to post a picture of it? I must admit I'm not interested in purchasing it as I already have one but would like to see the extent of the browning, which I have never seen before on these notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
            Are you able to post a picture of it? I must admit I'm not interested in purchasing it as I already have one but would like to see the extent of the browning, which I have never seen before on these notes.
            The "browning" of old paper is usually referred to as "foxing" and often appears as brown spots. Anything else should be treated with caution.
            Max.

Comment

I was able to get in my collection five, ten, twenty and fifty pound notes which for sure are and have been very interesting to examine over the many years.
              Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                The "browning" of old paper is usually referred to as "foxing" and often appears as brown spots. Anything else should be treated with caution.
                Max.
                The thing with these notes is that they are made out of old linen rags and then the notes got a good washing in the Toplitzsee

Comment

Book

Ken Alford's book: "Nazi Millionaires" has a nice write up on this operation and the men who ran it (and what happened at the end of the war to the loot and the characters) that you all might want to read if interested in this operation.
                  JMO,
                  Ron Weinand

Comment

yeah id be VERY interested!! though i really dont know what to look for on one of the notes so id love to see what the lads here think!!!!!

Comment

There was a whole serie of these on a british auction house a couple of months ago. I know that they speculated in the whole serie would go for about 2000 british pounds.

Anyone know about the result?

/ Christopher

Comment

Superb example Max.

"Hundestaffel"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X