Fell out of a box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell out of a box

Sorry for the cryptic title of this thread, but I was just in an Antique market this afternoon and spotted some militaria in the cabinet at the till, I spotted the edge of a picture and asked to have a look and was dumbfounded when it turned out to be a Stuka photo,

the guy told me that it had fallen out of a box full of pictures of aircraft and holocaust photo's which he had sold a while back, can only magine what other pictures there were, but managed to pick up this one none the less

So I would think this is from around May 45, I asked him how much and he said I could have it

Cheers

John
    Attached Files

Very nice and detailed picture however I doubt this is 1945. At that time they weren't flying with Stuka's anymore.

Comment

As far as I know they used Stukas untill the end of the war. I remember seeing footage of that tank buster pilot landing in the american lines with his stuka to surrender.

JL

Comment

J-L is correct. Ju 87 D-5s and G-2s were flown by the Nachtschlachtgruppen to the end of the war, and several Schlachtflieger units also flew them to the end of the war, e.g., 10.(Pz)/SG 2. By 8 May 1945, there were still some 300-350 of them in the hands of operational and Ergänzungs- units.

Comment

thanks for the information Larry, I suspect this could have been with the Nachtschlachtgruppen as I can see dampners on the exhaust, I am going to see what other info I can find out, there is a book with colour stills form the George Stevens D-Day to Berlin film with a couple of shots of night fighter Me 110's and I am pretty sure Stukas, there is another aicraft in the foreground with letters under the wings and I think a couple more aircraft in the background

cheers

John
          Last edited by grndevil44; 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

The flame dampers identify this as a D-7 variant, so would thus belong to one of the nachtschlachtgruppen Larry mentions.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

hello,
              I appreciate your help with the info you guys gave me and with a little more digging I was forwarded this link

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/401Squadron/6.htm

cheers

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                As far as I know they used Stukas untill the end of the war. I remember seeing footage of that tank buster pilot landing in the american lines with his stuka to surrender.

JL
                Jean-Loup is correct. Hans-Ulrich Rudel crash-landed his Stuka at the Kitzingen air field in May 1945 because he had flown west looking for Americans that he could surrender to. When he saw some down below at Kitzingen, he landed his Stuka so as to damage the landing gear so it couldn't be re-used. As the story goes, a GI hopped up on the aircraft and reached in to try to take Rudel's Ritterkreuz, and Rudel slammed the canopy shut on him.

The location was U.S. Army Harvey Barracks up until last year, when it was turned back over to the German government.

Geoff Walden

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X