VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waffen-SS: Knights cross winner photos (Hoffmann cards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joseph, I would like to see scans of the obverse of the cards which you think are original and still lack a number on the back, thank you.

Comment

Hello Akira,

I just checked out the ones on my site to choose a suitable example, unfortunately the scan quality is not good enough to express my point. I will rescan the ones I have left and post them on my new scanner that will provide crisp images. I am home right now and do not have access to the material or the scanner. Will have them sometime tomorrow as time permits.

Best regards,
      JD
      What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

hoffmann ss without a number

hello joseph,
        what was the name of the ss kc of the hoffmann postcard without a number?
        regards
        ralf

Comment

Hello Ralf,

To answer your question,

Paul Meyers un-numbered
          Geiseke un-numbered
          Rudolph Hess un-numbered
          Esslinger Rohle v. Lilienstern un-numbered
          Pannier nr 116
          Steiner nr 212

Also worth a mention is the HDK series which included some 1,100 different PCs , The HDK series is a great example in that, in the series their are card with the same bear the same number but with a different picture. I have been collecting PCs for a while and really enjoy them. My father is a master printer so he is helpful when looking at PCs that are questionable. I prefer the colorful Propaganda cards myself. Well, I am just rambling and not sure I am making sense, as I am half asleep.

Ralf & Akira I promise I will get some pics up. This medal lot was very pressing.

Best Regards,
          JD

Comment

Hello Guys,
            I have been following this discussion with much interest. I have 4 Hoffman series W-SS cards; Dietrich, Witt, Wuensche and Frey. I think that Joe was on the right track, the possibility exists that there my be variations in the Hoffman series cards, due to separate printing runs, different printers etc. I don't think you can dismiss a card out of hand without an inspection. Personally, I have struggled with the decision to keep the Frey card in my collection or not. Would I be happier if it was numbered on the reverse? Of course. However, I still believe the card to be original. When compared to my other three Hoffman cards it is comparble in print quality, possibly slightly less, but nothing close to any repro that I have seen and as expected the card does not flouresce...John
            Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Witt

Witt

Comment

Wuensche

My favorite card, it is really a great photo!

Comment

Frey

Frey

Comment

Dear John, I posted my message (which I deleted) too early before looking at all of your posts...

The Frey card is the exactly the one shown before; no "taping" effect, modern font, trimmed image.

I would still like to see other examples from Joseph --- higher resolution scan of rank/name portion is interesting to me.

Comment

Hello Gentleman,

Sorry again for the delay, here are two example from unmarked Hoffman, Waffen SS PCs. This is SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Rohle v. Lilienstern.

- Card does not fluoresce

- Margins are correct, I think that I cropped the right side little close

- Composition as well as gray scales are correct.

- The reverse marking is crisp , no rubber stamp effect.

What are your thoughts?

Best,
                      JD

PS Again I apologize for the delay.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The reverse mark
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is an Unmarked Hoffman Waffen SS , fake.

- Notice the paper difference as ralf point out in the fakes.

- The markings to the reverse also are different in character as well as have that rubber stamp look.

Just some thoughts,

Best,
                          JD

Wow 4:55 am Good night

Oh, this is SS- Haupptscharfuher Esslinger
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse mark, these two examples are miles apart IMHO. I do think however, that numbered examples are the preferred piece to collect, just is the case with awards. Maker Marked pieces are typically always more money as well as more desirable.

Good night again,
                            JD
                            Attached Files

Comment

hoffmann

short answer!
                              Witt, Sepp Dietrich and Wünsche are original!
                              Frey,Esslinger and von Lilienthal are not orginal!
                              ralf

Comment

Hello Ralf,

Thank you for your response and why is von Lilienthal not original. And where do you get your information, may I ask.
                                So, with that said, I disagree and feel that you have really confused some people.

- First you say that only original Hoffman Waffen SS PCs are original if they are numbered, then you say they are not in your short answer.

I know that you sell these , so what is the deal?

And again WHAT IS YOUR SOURCE OF INFORMATION, since you seem to have challenged some of the most respected PCs collectors that I know, as I have sent them links to this thread.

And they also disagree with the marked being the only originals, well now you do as well.

Best,
                                Joe
                                Last edited by Joseph D'Errico; 09-25-2003, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X