Sturmgeschutz 197th Abt Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sturmgeschutz 197th Abt Document

A wound badge in black for a sturmgeschutz soldier. What makes this document special is that I was able to trace exactly where and what the individual was doing at the time! His name is mentioned in two different diary entries in Karlheinz Munch's book StuG. Abt. 197. Page 20 in the book states that the unit had run up against the Stalin Line and an infantry patrol was sent out with Unteroffizier Raydt acccompaning them with a radio on his back.
    They were taken under fire in the open and had to be rescued by the 3rd Platoon. Page 62 lists "Unteroffizier Raydt wounded" as well in a different soldiers diary. Elsewhere in the book it states that early sturmgeschutz doctrine had a "dismount" with a radio going with the forward troops to coordinate the StuGs fire (page 140). This doctrine was eventually stopped. I remember reading in another entry that 4 of the units 5 "dismounts" had already been wounded early in the campaign.
    I also have his GAB and an Iron Cross 2nd Class document from the same individual. He recieved his GAB 5 Aug 41 and his IC 26 Sept 41. Exact same dates as RTK Spielmann his Battery Commander.
    Have not finished reading the book yet so I hope to find more information on this individual.
    Attached Files

Good work, WB docs lend themselves very well to this kind of reasearch.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

In the list of the Volksbund you find:

Theodor Hermann August RAYDT
      * 28 Jan 1901 (Hamburg)
      KIA 8 May 1942 (2 Km south of Koj-Assam)

Grave: Cemetery Sewastopol/Ukraine
      Block 3, Reihe 46, Grave 3193

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X