Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Photo Album

Guys,
    I finally got the courage to remove some of the photos from my SS photo album to scan the writing on the back. I've included a couple to see if anyone can read the writing and translate them. I can figure out the dates, but that's as far as I can go. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

The motorcycle boys,
    Attached Files

Comment

And an award ceremony.
      Attached Files

Comment

Rough translation with my bad english and without some of the places (can´t read them)

1: "In the woods of ...... Before our big battle against the poles. Date. SS-Standarte "Germania" 3rd group, KradschĂ¼tzen having morning coffee"

2: "In ........ September 1st before departure to the campaign"

3: "Leader getting iron cross at Krakau from StandartenfĂ¼hrer 25th September 1939 on return march"

Comment

Thanks Sven,
          I may need your assistance on a couple others down the road. It's great to know the story behind the photos.

Comment

interesting is the story from number 1 photo,so far i know "Germania"" has big lost in fight against Poles in september 39.

Comment

In a German Album, there probably wouldn't be any mention of a battle lost. In fact that is the only photo in the whole album where there is any visible insignia. In the other 75 photos the soldiers have no insignia at all. Here's a few more that might help place where they actually were.
              Attached Files

Comment

In a scene right out of Schlinder's List, a soldier cuts the beard from what appears to be a Jew.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like this might be the same guy after a shave.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Vaccinations?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
                      Vaccinations?
                      yes it is

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
                        In a scene right out of Schlinder's List, a soldier cuts the beard from what appears to be a Jew.
                        yes its is or was "east jew"

Comment

On Nr. 2 i was unsure how to translate two words into english and had to look on the internet. Maybe its a little confuse in english but i hope you get the point.

1: "The shot down town Rudky near Lemberg on september 16th 1939-the town was assaulted by the SS-standarte on 16th 8.30 am"

2: "That´s the east jew. Bold and dangerous. In spite of his annoyance he is still smiling sneeringly. Jantarow (?) date"

3: "Shaving jews at Jantarow (?) date. In the background ukrainian farmers"

4: "At the vaccinations"

Comment

You guys are great! I won't bore you with the other 65 photos, but maybe I can post a couple of the unusual vehicles in the album later. Thanks much!

Comment

believe me, no one will be bored by the other pictures...have a coffee, then go peel some more off the album and get scanning. thanks for sharing these interesting everyday shots, even though some are casual snaps of man's chilling inhumanity to man. with what we know now, these poor people had far more to fear from the second wave of political police, and the way the locals were later used against them, than from these bullies with the shears.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X