Comment

Comment

A sad looking couple!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

For what its worth, all the bunker photos are of Czech blockhouses in the Sudetenland. Regards, Marc

Comment

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add to my last post. I don't know much about the 319th Inf Regt or the 80th Infantry Division, except to say that I was at the US National Archives a few days ago looking at 318th Regiment records from Oct-Dec 44 (to help out a friend). Some 319th Regt records were mixed in the boxes. It appears the 319th Regiment keep goods records, especially monthly history reports of their action. Regards, Marc
                      Last edited by MLW; 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by MLW View Post
                        For what its worth, all the bunker photos are of Czech blockhouses in the Sudetenland. Regards, Marc
                        Thanks Marc!! What gave it away? The writing or the particular style of the block-house?
                        I assume you were in Washington!! Thats good to hear that the records are being preserved.
                        I'm looking on : http://www.80thdivision.com/ to see if I can find any enemy units listed.

Comment

The design of the blockhouses are a certain give away. The ones in the scans are very typical in their form.

From the quick research I did at NARA (I happen to live about 30 minutes away), the 80th Infantry Division faced several divisions of the XIII SS Corps in the Sarre region (southeast of Metz) in Nov and Dec 44. These divisions included at least one SS-Division - the 17th SS Panzer Grenadier Division.

Regards, Marc
                          www.maginotlineatwar.com

Comment

Originally posted by MLW View Post
                            The design of the blockhouses are a certain give away. The ones in the scans are very typical in their form.

From the quick research I did at NARA (I happen to live about 30 minutes away), the 80th Infantry Division faced several divisions of the XIII SS Corps in the Sarre region (southeast of Metz) in Nov and Dec 44. These divisions included at least one SS-Division - the 17th SS Panzer Grenadier Division.

Regards, Marc
                            www.maginotlineatwar.com
                            Thanks Marc. I'm reading about the 17th SS as we speak!!

Comment

As I think about this, try this link: http://www.history.army.mil/collecti...ww2/USAWW2.htm

The US Army "Green Back" histories are a great resource. You may have to go through the four books that are posted above to find the accounts of the 80th Infantry Division.

Cheers,
                              Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X