No announcement yet.

From the Kriegsberichter's Eyes: A study in German Press Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1915/ One can see Leningrad from here with the naked eye.
    At a command post with a unit of the Waffen-SS.
    17 October 1941 Atlantic SS-PK-Raudies
    Attached Files

Comment

60518a/ Embitter battle in the Soviet village.
      The German Infantry makes use of each possibility of cover as they push forward in the viscous Soviet defense.
      17 October 1941 Associated Press PK-Lessman
      Attached Files

Comment

H1018/ Supplies on the advance.
        The Soldaten of our Pionier quickly advances the last few kilometers to the railroad station. They tread on with their heavy packs to their Regiment. A Panzer
        passing by is overloaded – it passes safely and quickly through the deep mud.
        20 October 1941 Weltbild PK-Lessmann
        Attached Files

Comment

Great collection of photos, and education of the stamps etc. Did you ever get the set of frameable combat photos called something like "the best works of the german war photographers". With all branches of service photos in a set?

Comment

Juoneen, Thanks for the compliment. I have not heard of this series of photos before. If anyone has them, perhaps they can post them here.

AV65367/ One cannot find their way without the loud signs…
            …and nevertheless each one has their purpose. The vehicle driver knows the correct way and understands it.
            20 October 1941 Scherl PK-Jörgensen

(Any detecitves out there who can possibly determine the location of these signs?)
            Attached Files

Comment

H1095/ Before the final battle in the East.
              Crossing a river.
              21 October 1941 Weltbild PK-Bauer
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                1915/ One can see Leningrad from here with the naked eye.
                At a command post with a unit of the Waffen-SS.
                17 October 1941 Atlantic SS-PK-Raudies
                Paul Raudies was a somewhat-senior Waffen-SS Bildberichter, being promoted to Oberscharfuehrer on November 9, 1942. He was in Galicia in the spring of 1944, where he covered the Flemish Sturmbrigade Langemarck and the 9. SS-Panzer Division Hohenstaufen. From this photo, I have learned that he must have been with the SS-Polizei Division during the autumn of 1941!

Many of the Waffen-SS Bildberichter had combat decorations, and were respected as frontline soldiers, rather than rear-area skulkers. I would imagine the situation was the same for Heer photographers, but I don't have an documentation on them. As for Paul Raudies, he held at least the Panzer Assault Badge in Bronze and the Iron Cross I. These details, and his first name, come from entries in the internal-circulation magazine of the Waffen-SS War Reporters, Kleiner Bericht Kurrier. I'm fortunate to own fourth (or so) generation copies of various pages of this journal, which a friend of mine found in the Bundesarchiv. They are smudged and incomplete, but full of useful information.

Comment

XXXV/ 1

Comment

The reality in ExCCCP

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Porsche 911 on ,,Aotobahn,, in East Ukraina

Comment

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 20 users online. 0 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X