No announcement yet.

From the Kriegsberichter's Eyes: A study in German Press Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVZ11367/ What our soldiers in the Propjet area have in mind every day.
    Only water and swamp - in between rarely there is an abandoned farm, in which the inhabitants led a miserable existence.
    1 June 1944 Scherl PK-Koch-Thann
    Attached Files

Comment

AVZ11108/ The sun shines again.
      Spring is also taking place in the south of the Eastern Front. The winter clothing is gone.
      3 May 1944 Scherl PK-Vorpahl
      Attached Files

Comment

Note the barrel travel lock in place on the nearest STuG. More a support than a lock in this case. Amazing shot. Looks like all is well in 44.

Comment

PK in action.
          Making effective recordings is not always easy. A picture reporter on the gun of a coastal battery.
          18 December 1940 Weltbild
          Attached Files

Comment

48340/ The Oak Leaves for Rittmeister Niemack
            The Führer and commander-in-chief of the Wehrmacht has awarded Rittmeister Niemack, commander of a reconnaissance unit in an Infantry Division, the third officer of the German Wehrmacht the Oak Leaves to the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross for his heroic action in the eastern campaign. The Führer has has personally awarded this brave officer the highest award.
            11 August 1941 Hoffmann
            Attached Files

Comment

"A picture reporter on the gun of a coastal battery."

Quite a photo, Todd! I'll bet this guy wore out the crotch of his breeches when he shinnied up the barrel for this photo!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

#773 and #774

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                Here is the writing on the back of this press photo. Can someone please translate this for us?

This photo is from the International Press Service out of Amsterdam.
                Hello Todd,

Just recently I came across this site. Your collection is very impressive! The picture is showing the Cunerakerk (Cunera church) in the city of Rhenen in the Netherlands. On the backside of the picture is written: die berühmte Kirche von Rhenen unversehrt. Meaning: the famous church of Rhenen intact.

Best regards, mrthijssen

Comment

Thank you mrthijssen for the translation! I appreciate the information on this press photo.

Comment

AV61456/ The last view of an enemy Auxiliary Cruiser.
                    The sea foams up as this enemy auxiliary cruiser sinks into the depths. The ship was tracked down in cooperation with an Arado 196 aircraft and destroyed by a German warship with well-targeted salvos.
                    1 December 1940 Scherl
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                      Helmuth Sunderman speaking in Brussels in 3 October 1943.

Can anyone read any of these languages and give a proper translation?
                      Hello Todd,

You asked for a proper translation of these languages. Maybe I can help. The picture is taken in Belgium. Belgium has two languages: French and Dutch. The upper text is in Dutch, the lower in French and both have the same translation:

The thanking of the harvest of the N.S.D.A.P. in the Palace of Fine Arts in Brussels.

Helmut Sunderman, chief of staff of the governmental (Reichs) press superior (that was Otto Dietrich) during the uttering of his speech

Regards, mrthijssen

Comment

Thank you mrthijssen for the translation!!

Comment

I recently started collecting photos of Kriegsmarine Admirals. I already have a few press photos. Here is my humble contribution to this great thread.

Barrier Weapons Inspector (Sperrwaffeninspekteur), Vizeadmiral Alexander Michels (1891-1968), on board a Harbor protection boat (Hafenschutzboot) somewhere on the Atlantic coast, 6 July 1944.
                          Wien-Bild
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Grossadmiral for keeping this thread alive. Here is a new one.

G7603/
                            A graveyard of enemy aircraft destroyed from the air by our aircraft. In the foreground is a Soviet bomber.
                            11 July 1941 Weltbild G7603

41press480 (2000x1376).jpg

Comment

5126a/ To battle in the Krim.
                              The German and Romanian units deployed in the Crimea have so far been able to smash almost all the bridgeheads in the fight against Soviet landings. They continue to stand at the ready to not let any enemy invade here. Our picture shows the supplies in the Crimean harbor is constantly being brought in for the fighting power of the deployed troops.
                              4 January 1944 Atlantic PK-Sperling

44press398 (2000x1420).jpg

Comment

Re #4258.
                                The aircraft in the foreground is Pe-2 (Пе-2 in Russian) diving bomber. The one in the center of the photo is Db-3F (Дб-3Ф) long range bomber.
                                Two similar planes on the left are I-16 (И-16) fighters. I-16 is very often addressed as Rata (a rat) or Mosca (a fly). These are Spanish nicknames that I-16 got in Spain during The Civil war 1936-39. But soviet pilots called this fighter Ишак [Ishak] (Donkey). The name must have appeared as an abbreviation of the Russian spelling of I-16 (the Russian spelling is " I-shestnadtsat' ") - Ish- Ishak.

2.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X