No announcement yet.

From the Kriegsberichter's Eyes: A study in German Press Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Above: Ein Dokument von Grösster politscher bedeutung: Der Brief an den Prager Juden Dr. Zdenek
    Scherl Bilderdienst/ 30.10.39/AV 56992

Under: Ein Jahr deutsche Kriegsführung -- ein Jahr welthistorischer Sieg
    Des Führers historische Rede nach der zerschlagung Polens am 6. Oktober 1939 im Reichstag in Berlin.
    Scherl Bilderdienst, Berlin AV.60390g

Comment

Thanks Dennis for posting your press photos in this thread! Excellent photos. Please keep on posting your press photos. I really enjoy seeing them.

If anyone else also has press photos in their collection, please post them here.

A few more from my collection.

Destroyed city.
      Attached Files

Comment

Stug in a partially destroyed city.
        Attached Files

Comment

2233a/ The opening of the Mausoleum for Italian freedom fighters.
          On 4 November 1941 on the half hill of Janikulus, the so-called Pine Hill, in the vicinity of the San Pietro Church in Montoria, the Duce unveiled a Mausoleum during a solemn ceremony for the fallen fighters for the national unification of Italy between 1849 and 1870. The mausoleum was built at Janikulus and houses the remains of the fighters, among them the poet Gofredo Mameli. Our picture shows The Duce greeting the Garibaldi Legion in their red shirts during the ceremony.
          Attached Files

Comment

Todd, as you told us, Press photos are worth between $10 and $25, check this one:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...40#post3225440

Unbelievable!

Comment

Whew, those are steep. I personally wouldn't spend that much on those images myself, I could see in the $35-50 tops for the best ones in the group. But it is ultimately up to each person as to how much they would pay for each foto.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Gylsen View Post
                Whew, those are steep. I personally wouldn't spend that much on those images myself, I could see in the $35-50 tops for the best ones in the group. But it is ultimately up to each person as to how much they would pay for each foto.

Which ones are in your opinion that much worth then?

Comment

It's all subjective to the prospective buyer. For example, a guy interested in MG's may pay more for an MG pics than a politcal pic. To me, I would be more interested in the Ribbontrop pic over the rest so I probably would pay more for that pic than the others. But that is just my opinion. It all depends on what you are willing to pay and what subject interests you.

Back to the press photos:

SS men with captured Russians.
                  Attached Files

Comment

2202/ The Finnish Freedom Order for German soldiers.
                    On the Swir Front, General Heinrich, the Commander-in-Chief of the Finnish troops in the East Karalien, awards this high award to German officers and soldiers of the Division.
                    (6-7 November 1941) Orbis PK-Schäfer
                    Attached Files

Comment

2235f/ Burning just like in hell.
                      Bright glowing flames shoot from a Soviet tank, which was hit by a German bomb. Thick, black smoke hangs over everything in this phase of the war. The German troops are on the heels of the fleeing enemy.
                      (November 1941) Orbis PK-Lessmann
                      Attached Files

Comment

German troops are on the advance in the East.
                        They are able to cross the boundary river with rafts and makeshift ferry’s.
                        PK-Meyer
                        Attached Files

Comment

Observing Arab workers.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Supply depot in Afrika.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Todd, way back on June 11, 1982, (I looked it up), I had gotten in 400 different of these Press Release Fotos, from Vienna, Austria. They were good sellers @ gun shows. I kept only one picture, of a German Army truck at the head of a column of motorcycles with sidecars, with more trucks in the rear, picture taken in Greece on 16.Dez.1941. The interesting thing is that the column is turning off a road onto railway tracks & traveling down the tracks. I kept it because the lead truck has tied across the hood, one of those aerial ID swastika flags, the tie ropes from the corner grommets clearly seen. Years ago, collectors used to whine that they had no proof of what these flags were used for, or that hardly any photographic evidence existed of their actual usage as aerial ID flags. The backside has the 2 'Atlantic' stampings, also the red 'Wien-Bild' stamp. I have no camera & can't post the picture. I do have a scanner & can send scans by email.
                              I also still have left, an original archive storage box from that group that some of these pics were kept in, in Vienna, it's 9-1/4 deep" x 3" wide x 10-1/4" tall, made of thick strong cardboard, old & very yellowed. Lift off lid; it has its original black taping along one edge but has broken thru. On the bottom is a white fabric pull, for pulling the box off the shelf. It used to be FULL of press release fotos of Luftwaffe planes. The front is stamped: H. HOFFMANN, BILDARCHIV, WIEN. Below that, handwritten in ink, is 'Flugzeuge'. A pretty cool box.

Comment

I defintely would be interested in seeing these items. I have sent a PM with my e-mail. I, personally, have never seen these storage boxes before. That really intersts me, especially as a collector of press photos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X