Gebirgsjäger photos, Dietl and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger photos, Dietl and others

I was given these photos last evening by a friend whose father was a Gebirgsjäger in Finland. Unfortunately the father passed away a few years ago but had many tales about his trips behind enemy lines on skis until a "Lungendurchschuss" took him out of action. In the group photo there is a Knights Cross winner as well as a GJ General pictured.
    Attached Files

close up of the General and Knights Cross winner.
    Attached Files

Comment

photo of Dietl in Kübelwagen
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PzV View Post
        photo of Dietl in Kübelwagen
        Dietl always smiling...
        Nice shot

Comment

Fantastic shots.

Behind Dietl is Karl Eglseer, as he's wearing a reversible winter camo jacket that comfortably dates the photo to the spring of 1944.

The first shot is even better, I'm almost certain the general is Generalmajor Mathias Kräutler and the RKT Hans Rohr of GJR 139, that would put the photo at between Feb and Apr 45
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Simon, the photos are from Leutnant Daumann, standing to the far left of the group shot. There are a number more of these photos and I just have to go by and pick these up. He was saved after his lung shot by a Waffen SS soldier in a Schwimmwagen who crossed a small river where his group was pinned down by enemy fire. The SS man crossed the river a number of times and saved most of the group and was wounded twice himself in this action. I had many conversations with him in regards to his actions in Finland. When I get the other photos I will post them.

Comment

Do you know which unit he belonged to?
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

unfortunately I don't know what unit he was with. Possibly some documentation will show up as they are cleaning the house out now.

Comment

Well if i'm right about the identities of the men in the first picture, along with your mention of the SS (which can only mean Nord) then my guess is GJR 139 or possibly one of the other units in Divisionsgruppe Kräutler.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X