Omaha Beach Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omaha Beach Ranger

In another thread a member posted photos of his visit to Point Du Hoc in Normandy. I had a chance to become friends with one of the Rangers who was there that day so many years ago.
    His name is Ken (butch) Bladorn. He was in the 2nd Ranger Battalion, H Co. His was the second craft to land on Omaha Beach that day.
    The following is a photo he signed for me, it was taken while he was home on leave just prior to D-Day. Note the early ranger diamond.
    At the time that I first met him, Ken was a very big man with a firm handshake. I could tell he was a tough SOB 50 years ago. Ken related to me his ordeal on Omaha beach. He said he took maybe 15 steps or so, and was catapulted into the air maybe 10 feet. A piece of shrapnel tore through his shoulder, went all the way through his torso and out his left buttock. He laid there on the beach for a long time before aid arrived and somehow survived. No great heroics or war stories here, just his story.
    Ken outlived his brother, who was a P-38 pilot and went missing over the English Channel. He showed me all of the clippings of his brother who he dearly missed.
    After my first meeting with Ken he gave me one of his ranger diamonds which I still have today, along with this great photo. Sadly Ken died last year peacefully at home. He will be missed!
    Attached Files
    "Great hunter yes! great fisherman yes! fine figure of a man yes! that is all you need to know" Jeremiah Johnson.

Good to Go

It's great that you got to meet this warrior and hear his story. I am sure it meant a lot to him that you spent your time with him. Good to go.

Jeremiah

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X