Hermann Schmehl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermann Schmehl

I found this to be very interesting. I've been helping my friend Jurgen research his family that served in the Wehrmacht and came accross his great-uncle, Hermann Schmehl. I only have a few photos of him and his IAB, but I suppose they are worth showing.

Brendan

I beleive this to be some HJ group in Weinsberg. Schmehl is in the front row, second from the left. Written on the back of the photo is "14. August 1933". Of very interesting note is the fact that Schmehl has an SS beltbuckle. He and many of the other boys have HJ knives. Could anyone tell me about the uniforms they are wearing?

Brendan

Comment

Soon Schmehl joined the RAD, and later the Wehrmacht.

Brendan

Comment

More photos...

Brendan

Comment

Another wartime copy of the greatcoat photo, but in much higher resolution.

Brendan

Comment

His IAB in Silver marked S.H.u.Co. 1941. Of interesting note is that it has many period field repairs. Looks like soldering to the catch on the back and the pin assembly. Sorry for the low quality photo. I'll add a better shot later. Unfortunately the medal is suffering from Zinc Pest but since the photo was taken I have given it two vaseline treatments.

Brendan

Comment

Sadly Schmehl did not survive the war and was KIA.

Nachname: Schmehl
              Vorname: Hermann
              Dienstgrad: Gefreiter
              Geburtsdatum: 04.10.1920
              Geburtsort: Weinsberg
              Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01.09.1941
              Todes-/Vermisstenort: Dnjepropetrowsk
              I'm pondering if he were in IR.72/ID.46 or ID.198. There are two photos that were in the same family of IR.72/ID.46's parade out of Karlsbad in 1940, so it is possible that that could have been his unit. Strangely though, ID.46 was never at Dnjepropetrowsk in 1941, only ID.198.

Mods, if this thread should be moved to the Individual History forum please do so

Brendan
              Last edited by Brendan Hunt; 07-22-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for sharing

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X