No announcement yet.

Dead SS-Scharführer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I posted this! It really has opened debate.
    I'm guessing it is pre-war because it came with a batch of other photos, all pre-war. Unfortunately, none of them provide any clues for this particular image.
    Max.

Comment

Barbed wire is designed to cut and cause nasty wounds. You dont drape yourself over barbs just for a dumb picture pose. That would REALLY, REALLY HURT.

Also the fence is obviously damaged. You can see one length of broken wire on the ground. He has damaged the fence when he fell on it.
      I would say it is pretty obvious he has gotten drunk in town, gone for a walk at night, perhaps heading back to base across the field, fallen into the fence in the dark, passed out and frozen to death.
      Sure this may well be pre-war. It is not a combat death. Simply accidental, more than likely caused by alcohol.
      Last edited by milcollector; 06-14-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

So why would he be wearing his bayonet to go out for a drink?
        Max.

Comment

Originally posted by milcollector View Post
          no way is he posing. I am surprised so many think he is.
          Barbed wire is designed to cut and cause nasty wounds. You dont drape yourself over barbs just for a dumb picture pose. That would REALLY, REALLY HURT.

Also the fence is obviously damaged. You can see one length of broken wire on the ground. He has damaged the fence when he fell on it.
          I would say it is pretty obvious he has gotten drunk in town, gone for a walk at night, perhaps heading back to base across the field, fallen into the fence in the dark, passed out and frozen to death.
          Sure this may well be pre-war. It is not a combat death. Simply accidental, more than likely caused by alcohol.
          This is not a bad theory at all, but I wonder why--if he was alive but intoxicated when he fell into the fence--we do not see more evidence of a struggle to free himself from such a painful situation? Also, given that the snow has covered the damaged portions of the fence, but not the man himself, I would say that the fence was damaged before he fell into it.
          Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
          All the best,
          Chris

Comment

Getting back to the pre-war question for a moment - his collar does not appear to be a different color from the rest of the Feldbluse. Wouldn't this indicate the picture was most probably taken sometime after 1940?

Don

Comment

Is he holding something in his left hand?

I think his body doesn't look relaxed, he has got snow on his leg where it couldn't be when he just fell into the wire. That means he has moved on the ground before he reached this position.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

If he's dead he may have been killed in a training accident and the photo taken as evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunbunny View Post
                  If he's dead he may have been killed in a training accident and the photo taken as evidence.
                  I think this one has merit.
                  Max.

Comment

His head is not hanging down. The weight of the head would have rolled it down over the wire. He's holding it up away from the barbed wire with his right hand. I do not believe this guy is dead in the picture.

The bayonet suggests a walking out uniform. I agree that this photo may have been staged and done as a lark after a good night out on the town. I have seen other photos of soldiers goofing around in uniform but this one is the first one 'playing dead'.

For what it's worth..............

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

yes, I think faking probably now.
                      After a night out in freezing temperatures with no blood circulation, dont you think his facial skin would have turned blue or darkened somewhat ?
                      His skin looks a normal shade of colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
                        His head is not hanging down. The weight of the head would have rolled it down over the wire. He's holding it up away from the barbed wire with his right hand. I do not believe this guy is dead in the picture.

The bayonet suggests a walking out uniform. I agree that this photo may have been staged and done as a lark after a good night out on the town. I have seen other photos of soldiers goofing around in uniform but this one is the first one 'playing dead'.

For what it's worth..............

Tony

I agree... it's staged.

His head would be lower. Curious that he's not wearing a hat in the cold?

On the other hand...

He could have taken his glove off to give the "finger" to the guy that shot him....

Comment

If I were running from rifle fire, that 3 ft. high fence is something that I could hurdle without breaking stride.
                          If he were wounded before reaching the fence and died while crawling towards and through it the snow should show more disturbance and possibly blood trails.
                          If he were shot just prior to reaching the fence and his last motion was to dive into it I would expect to see a more violent attitude to his pose.
                          Curious picture but my vote is that it is alchol induced or staged or maybe both.

Comment

Originally posted by g hanson View Post
                            This is starting to resemble the Monty Python ' Dead Parrot' sketch;

Max: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
                            Forum: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
                            Max: Look, matey, I know a dead SS-Scharführer when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
                            Forum: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! (ETC, ETC, ETC!)

I for one side with Max and think that he is also quite dead, and the body looks relatively 'fresh' at that. Unfortunately, without being able to get my Soco kit out and check for sure, we will probably not find out the real circumstances surrounding this picture. That is unless someone does know something about this pic. I for one would love to know more.

Thank's Max, a fascinating photo!

Graham
                            he's pining for the fjords!

Comment

I thought it might be relevant to add this photo from my collection. Very similar circumstances. At least it proves that some weren't too afraid of the barbed wire, even without gloves.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpy117 View Post
                                he's pining for the fjords!

Lovely plumage!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X