Dead SS-Scharführer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i.spring View Post
    one thing i noticed, if he is pretending to be dead, he seems to have his hand gently left under his head to protect his face from the cold snow?
    Ian
    Why is his wrist in such a position then, that isn't gently under his head.

Comment

Why would a Scharführer in the SS run away? I don't think he is a deserter.

Strange though.

Comment

Interesting photo. Even with all the evidence pointing towards death...I strongly think he's just goofing off. Originally someone mentioned he could be a Grepo (I know they're insignia is similiar to SS, but we can't see the other collar tab). Why would a boarder guard be caught in barbed wire and be dead?

-Brendan

Comment

My first thoughts were that it was a posed photo but if you look at the knuckles of his exposed hand, hung on the barbed wire you will see what I can only guess to be blood running from where his finger is apparently caught down and over his knuckles. If this is the case, who would do that to themselves just for a lark?

Comment

His uniform shows he is or was in barracks and not in the field. If it's on a border then the photo has been taken on the other side, ie. from where ever he was trying to reach.

If he has been shot then i think desertion comes low down on the list of possibilities. For example, the guy might have commited a criminal offence. The MPs or police come for him, sees the game is up and makes a break for it.

It could also be that the photo was taken in an instant that makes it look as if he's motionless with eyes shut.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

He has his bayonet on and apparently was crawling through the wire. He could not have fallen unto it and left the top two strands above him.
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
                I believe it is a pre-war photo.
                Max.
                Hello Max,
                What makes you think it might be pre war?

Comment

The groin area of his uniform looks dark, blood? It's too dark to be a shadow - look at the fence post shadow.

There also looks to be a dark patch seeping into the snow around the groin area and a dark patch coming out from under his boot around the shin area. I bet when he was picked up there was a large area of blood in the snow beneath the body.

Just my 10 cents worth.
                  Steve

Comment

maybe he is only drunk,and some one take a photo of him for fun

Comment

dead or living, each way why mans arm over wire if shot and fell onto this? maybe to lie this way must have dived through, me thinks posing, sorrys. paul

Comment

No, then the snow wasn't that beautiful IMO.

Comment

Consider also, if there was only a bit of blood, it would seep DOWN into the snow a bit, instead of instantly out away from the body.

My thoughts: Maybe he got VERY drunk, disoriented, tangled then passed out, froze to death?

best
                          Hank
                          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

er is tot.

Comment

I cannot decide whether this soldier is goofing off or really dead.
                              Whatever happened must have happened recently prior to when the photo happened.

I noticed (arrow A) that his right knee which is under his left leg has pushed the snow forward.

His left knee (arrow B) has done the same which has raised the snow under it.

If this had been done much earlier the snow would have settled.

There seems to be snow on his left leg below the knee and on the toe of his left boot but not elsewhere.

Cheers
                              Larry
                              Attached Files

Comment

were is his sleeve eagle?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X