Rare and interesting RAD-postcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare and interesting RAD-postcard

I have seen and collected a lot of postcards over the years.
    This one I got yesterday and I have never seen it before:

Many ineresting details to see. Look at the snow-shovel, the mountain boots, the waistcoat. Besides that, it is an armed RAD-man.

Here is the rear-side of the postcard:

As it says: Arbeitsmann am "Rand der Welt" - at the edge (end) of the world, I suppose it is a RAD-unit in Finland or Norway (not to say that these countries are the end of the world).

I always see lots of postcards, I get catalogs from postcard-auctions and in 20+ years of collecting you see many of them repeating, even rarer ones, but this one is new to me.
    Thought I share it with You, as I know that some RAD-collectors are here on WAF.

Kind regards
    Robert

Robert,

That is an interesting card. Thanks for showing it to us!
    George

Comment

Yes, Very Nice Card indeed!!!
      Thanks a lot for showing!!!
      Last edited by Tyler Ramsey; 08-25-2003, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Of course it is a drawing and not a photograph, but also interesting--if accurate-- is that the unit sleeve shield has been moved down to where a Polizei eagle would have been worn, and the Party armband has been discarded.

That would have been an obvious omission at anything close to a frontline, but I'm wondering if you have ever turned up a photo of an RAD uniform being worn WITHOUT the armband, Robert? I have seen "Deutsche Wehrmacht" being worn instead of the NSDAP one, but always with some sort of armband.

Comment

Hello Rick!
          This is the only photo I have ever seen, of a man without ANY armband.
          Attached Files

Comment

"Am Rand der Welt" means "At the edge of the world", as in the last outpost of civilisation, which is what the frozen wastes this man was working in probably felt like.

Comment

Originally posted by James Clark
              "Am Rand der Welt" means "At the edge of the world", as in the last outpost of civilisation, which is what the frozen wastes this man was working in probably felt like.
              DOH!
              I thought that Rand der Welt, meant round the world!
              Man I am getting rusty on my German!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X